de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Debate

I am having a so-called discussion, maybe an argument soon with a soaper on a FB group. He made a "deodorant soap" and is telling everyone they can use it as a deodorant instead of deodorant! That some of his men friends (customers) are saying that they wanted him to make a soap that lasted and kept them fresh lol. He said he used the BB deodorant additive. I explained to him in my opinion on that no soap is going to be a deodorant. That it can get rid of the funk of BO because your washing yourself. But he is saying no that isnt true. I need some help here as I have exhausted my explanation. I told him its a wash off product what does he expect to stay on them? Aren't I correct? Or am I missing something with this BB additive?

I think you're probably wasting your breath, Redhead, even though I agree with your point of view.

I get the distinct impression the debate is going nowhere useful, which is often the case with most online disagreements. Continuing to argue, no matter how correct your information may be, will do nothing to change the other person's point of view.

My gentle advice is to let it go.

Thank you DeAnna - I did - obviously not worth my time frankly- I just get annoyed I guess with the new people in the soaping world and really there are quite a few.... that make ridiculous claims and put equally ridiculous additives in their soap. I'm really into the "normal" ingredients. Yes I have added some things to my soap and created recipes that I think will achieve what Im looking for but also have trashed a lot of recipes where I actually achieved nothing! But I'm seeing it more and more and I just got disgusted. But I came here to ask because maybe there is something Im missing with the deodorant additive from BB. In a lotion or creme maybe but not a soap. lol

Just an update here...i have been using Teresa's babassu and Mg hydroxide for a bit now and i am loving it. No complaints so far from others. I am finding that it does not last overnight on my right sided funky pit though but that is just me. Do you think i could up the Mg a bit to make a difference or should i leave well enough alone?

Fun facts with homemade deodorant.... I am still using the Babassu/Arrow root/Baking soda mix poured into an Altoids tin. Typically a few quick swirlies with 3 fingers will melt off enough for application. Our heat went out Friday night, woke up this morning to an outside temp in the low 20s with an inside temp of around 50ish. I would have had better luck rubbing a hole in a cinderblock than getting it to melt this morning :neutral:

Just an update here...i have been using Teresa's babassu and Mg hydroxide for a bit now and i am loving it. No complaints so far from others. I am finding that it does not last overnight on my right sided funky pit though but that is just me. Do you think i could up the Mg a bit to make a difference or should i leave well enough alone?

I would just leave well enough alone if it were me (and have, actually). I have one stinkier pit than the other and ended up googling it. I think I posted about this earlier in this thread. It turns out most of us do have one stinkier pit than the other (kind of like one foot is bigger than the other). I forget the exact reason behind it, I'd have to look it up again, but I've learned to just deal with it. If it really bothers you, try putting some deodorant on at night before you go to bed to see if that helps before you start mucking about with the Mg.

I finally have a stained shirt!! Not that I'm excited about it, especially since it was an expensive T-shirt, too. However, I noticed the pits on a shirt were stained when I was doing laundry yesterday. That is the only shirt that is stained. And I do remember being in a hurry getting dressed and not bothering to wait until the oil was absorbed into the skin. However, to be honest, I think it has more to do with the neem oil than the babassu oil. Since this is a shirt I won't be wearing outside of the house ever again, I'm going to experiment with some babassu and neem oils and see how badly each of them stains the shirt. I'll add that to the list of stuff I've got to do.

It turns out most of us do have one stinkier pit than the other (kind of like one foot is bigger than the other).

I have one pit stinkier than the other. Funny thing is that sometimes they switch. lol

TeresaT said:
I'm going to experiment with some babassu and neem oils and see how badly each of them stains the shirt. I'll add that to the list of stuff I've got to do.

So far, so good with mine (still not getting any stains on any of my shirts/blouses from my babassu oil).

IrishLass :)

Scenting came back or my nose was off that day

I'm glad you brought scenting up, Earlene. So far, I have not added any scent to my concoction, but the other day I was debating with myself whether it would be a good idea or not. After reading your post, I'm leaning towards probably not such a good idea (at least for me anyway).

Re: then staining: Do you think it was the lemongrass EO in the artisan deodorant you bought that stained your shirt or the deodorant itself?

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, I've been meaning to update you on this, but kept forgetting. Anyway, while I was in Branson having my soapmaking marathon, I noticed I could smell the teakwood & cardamom FO again in my (green) MOM. It made me wonder if the scent came back or if (probably more likely) my sinuses were acting up the week I made that original post. I don't remember being sickish at all, but that doesn't mean my sinuses may not have been inflamed or some such. It happens.

I still have some of this green MOM in the original FO bottle and I can still smell it when I open the bottle and spread it on my underarms. I don't think the fragrance lasts long, but it is definitely still there.

What's interesting though is that the color intensity has increased. It was just green to start, now it's a deeper color. Not pure green as you see in a pinewood forest, but more of a blue-ish green, but deeper than it was to start.

BTW: that's not my recipe, I believe IrishLass started the Mg Hydroxide in the babassu oil. I've actually never heard of Mg Hydroxide until it was mentioned here. I bought some (from the link provided) but haven't used it yet. I'm still working on my neem-babassu combination. As an aside, I'm glad I added the neem oil to the babassu.

I used a soap that I received from an acquaintance that had coffee grinds in it. The soap ended up being scratchier than I realized and I scratched my right arm pit. That quickly got tossed to the side and I finished showering with a smoother soap. I didn't think the scratch was that bad until I was drying off and that thing hurt like all get out. It looked like a cat scratched me. I was reluctant to put any deodorant on, then remembered neem and babassu oils have antibacterial qualities and that's the reason I'm using them instead of commercial products. DUH!!

Anyway, the scratch was healed two days later. I can still see a tiny line where the coffee grounds cut into my skin, but the pain and irritation are gone. I'll probably end up with a slight scar (I scar very easily) but the neem helped heal the scratch quickly. I don't like the smell of neem oil, but I definitely like the benefits of neem oil. I had serious (deep) cracks on my right heel that were painful and made walking irritating. I grabbed the neem and put it on before I went to sleep and again before I put on my socks. The crack was healed enough in two days that it did not hurt anymore to walk or if I pressed on it. I just wish there was something that could cover that rank smell.

Fun facts with homemade deodorant.... I am still using the Babassu/Arrow root/Baking soda mix poured into an Altoids tin. Typically a few quick swirlies with 3 fingers will melt off enough for application. Our heat went out Friday night, woke up this morning to an outside temp in the low 20s with an inside temp of around 50ish. I would have had better luck rubbing a hole in a cinderblock than getting it to melt this morning :neutral:

Very sorry for your difficulties Marshall! As you know i have the same issue all the time. I feel your frustration.

I wanted to chime in now that I have been using the magnesium hydroxide-babassu concoction deodorant for a few weeks. I don't have a specific recipe of how much of each, as I've been mixing it up day by day, for the most part, and applying it first thing in the morning. A few days I've even just applied some magnesium hydroxide only. No problems, no irritation, no funk. I'm calling this combination a winner for me and my body chemistry. My underarm skin is certainly much happier with it!

I used a soap that I received from an acquaintance that had coffee grinds in it. The soap ended up being scratchier than I realized and I scratched my right arm pit.... It looked like a cat scratched me.

Wow, that's crazy. Did you give any feedback to the soap maker? I'm sorry that happened but glad you had the neem soap to deal with it.

Scooter

An observation after spending the holidays away.

Just before Christmas we spend ten days with my mother in law, one of her cats like to eat soap so I was using a store bought body wash (soft soap) with my usual arrangement of deodorant. I thought it was travel stress, but I found myself stinking more by the end of the day than usual. After we got home the stink got worse, at the end of the work day I was stinking through a heavy sweatshirt. Then I noticed I had red marks under my arms that would sting when I applied my eo blend. I switched to using the gentlest soap I have (100% lard) and plain MOM for a few days, my skin feels back to normal and I'm normal levels of stinky.

I'm figuring to was probably a combination of travel stress and then jumping into house sitting and a 8 day work week or a previously unknown sensitivity to soft soap (though it was the brand I used to use before learning cp). I was just wondering if anyone else had an instance of needing to return to a commercial product and noticing extra stink or if it was a case of stress and sensitivity. (Just trying to narrow it down. I have a feeling I'll be experimenting with liquid soap making soon to prevent this)

Wow, that's crazy. Did you give any feedback to the soap maker? I'm sorry that happened but glad you had the neem soap to deal with it.

Scooter

No, since it was my own fault. It's a "kitchen" soap and I used it in the shower. Not the smartest idea. I was actually using it at the bathroom sink since I've already got about 12 bars at my kitchen sink. I decided to try it in the shower to see if a coffee based soap worked well as a deodorant soap. If it can get garlic off your hands, why not? Apparently, those coffee grounds embedded themselves in my washcloth. I'm not the gentlest of scrubbers when showering...

If it was a soap that was designed to be used in the shower, I definitely would have told her. However, since I'm the one at fault, no sense worrying her.

An observation after spending the holidays away.

Just before Christmas we spend ten days with my mother in law, one of her cats like to eat soap so I was using a store bought body wash (soft soap) with my usual arrangement of deodorant. I thought it was travel stress, but I found myself stinking more by the end of the day than usual. After we got home the stink got worse, at the end of the work day I was stinking through a heavy sweatshirt. Then I noticed I had red marks under my arms that would sting when I applied my eo blend. I switched to using the gentlest soap I have (100% lard) and plain MOM for a few days, my skin feels back to normal and I'm normal levels of stinky.

I'm figuring to was probably a combination of travel stress and then jumping into house sitting and a 8 day work week or a previously unknown sensitivity to soft soap (though it was the brand I used to use before learning cp). I was just wondering if anyone else had an instance of needing to return to a commercial product and noticing extra stink or if it was a case of stress and sensitivity. (Just trying to narrow it down. I have a feeling I'll be experimenting with liquid soap making soon to prevent this)

I did have a similar experience although not with a liquid commercial soap. It was with a hard bar commercial soap, however. I was also traveling so considered it could be related to travel stress. But I travel all the time, so don't know if I can actually attribute anything to travel stress any more than normal stress. IMO in my case, I really think it had more to do with the commercial soap and it's affect on the integumentary system (skin as an organ, which it is, btw). But then I thought about another factor...

What about diet? Sometimes dietary changes alter the fine balance of body odor as well. During travel, dietary changes are common, at least for me. When I am at home I don't eat in fast food restaurants. When I travel, I do. Otherwise I'd have to cook at rest areas, and that's not at all convenient and often frowned upon. I used to prepare all my on-the-road meals and snacks ahead of time, but I just don't bother with that anymore as it is so time and space consuming. So I eat veggie burgers at Burger King or potato tacos at Taco Bell. Sometimes even french fries, or potato chips, which are never allowed in the house most of the time. Once I get where I'm going, my diet is still altered because, either I am not the one cooking, or I don't have all the same ingredients I would normally have at home so cook and eat differently than when I am at home. So travel diet will affect what my glands are sweating out.

So yes, I suppose it probably is travel-related when this happens. But is it the diet and not the soap? I think it's probably a bit of both. The purpose of skin is to safeguard the rest of the body by performing as an intact encasement as well as to regulate heat. When it is compromised by being too dry (as what happens to my skin over time when I use commercial soap) or cut or whatnot, it can't do as good a job as intended, so in that regard I believe the soap plays a part in the process. Mainly because dry skin wants moisture and sweat is moist, so the dry armpits and other body parts may try to re-absorb some of the smelly sweat. That's what I think happens. Diet, of course, also plays a part because the food has to be processed and in that process we produce certain odors which we expel through our skin (example: when we eat garlic or onions or asparagus, etc.)

But in your case, the redness and stinging would indicate a new sensitivity to something like the liquid soap or some additive in the liquid soap. Maybe the formulation has changed since you last used it or maybe it is a newly developed sensitivity to an ingredient in it all along. I would look at the ingredient list and use that for comparison purposes if you do start making your own liquid soap.

Just some rambling thoughts on my part. I could be totally off on all of this.

Thanks Earlene, I hadn't given diet much consideration. I'm only now starting to get back to my usual diet (it's been a week) but I know I definitely ate more on vacation than I usually do.

Look what I did today! (Well, yesterday and today. I made the deo yesterday and piped it into the containers. I put labels on them today.) I'm going to give these to a couple of friends to try out. I finally did the Mg(OH)2. I used 306 grams babassu and 250 grams Mg(OH)2. I had only purchased an 8 oz bag of the Mg(OH)2 so I used it all. I was going for IL's 50/50 recipe, but didn't feel like melting the oil then reweighing it. Once they were mixed, I zapped them with my (food) stick blender to make a nice creamy concoction. I started to fill the tubes with a spoon and gave up on that because it was too thick. I put the blend into a small plastic baggie and snipped the end. It worked wonders!! Each one is about 1.35 oz (40 g). It's enough for a few weeks depending on how much the person decides to use. I really like this formula much better than just the oils because putting it on is not as greasy and absorbs much faster. Also, I put the deo on after my morning shower yesterday and there was no odor at all by the time I went to bed. I put a little bit on before bed and woke up smelling good. No funky odor at all. Haven't had a shower today and didn't put any more on and still don't stink. I'm definitely hooked on the Mg(OH)2 and babassu combo. There is no need for fragrance oils or essential oils to cover up any smells or use as antibacterial agents. The Mg(OH)2 leaves a bit of a residue on the surface of my skin after the oil has completely soaked in. I think that Mg(OH)2 residue is acting as a barrier to sweat and odor. I know the oil combos never prevented me from sweating, but this does seem to. Irish Lass, thanks for the awesome idea!! This thread started out as somewhat of a joke, but I think it turned out to be a great help!! I've been without a commercial deodorant since I made my first entry. Although the various mixtures I've tried worked to some degree, they were not as good as the Mg(OH)2. Maybe I should have just bought a bottle of milk of magnesia to begin with; but then again, I wouldn't have had as much fun..

IMG_0894.jpeg

Back