Cutting too soon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always cut after 24 hours, but I still get drag marks from time to time. Meh. I don't care - my soaps are simple and rustic looking anyway (I embrace the ash!) and my customers seem to love it.

I do it too! I cut a slice after 24 hours, then test every three to 4 hours. I have the marks too. Maybe another hobby to distract me from my first hobby.... I can't help it....no patience at all.:(

With my last batch, I kept sticking the knife in to the top of the end of the loaf (a part that is reserved for personal use only as it is mishapen) to see if it was too wet. But it was a salt bar, so it is a beast of a different nature

Also I no longer use the usual commercial blade soap cutters because the blades aren't thin enough and I got messy draggy cuts. What's worked best for me is a 6-inch carpenter's spackling knife, cheap from the hardware store. Thin sharp blade, perfect size, nice cuts. They will rust if you don't wash and dry well immediately, but that's the only down side. I'd love to have a cutter from Bud but it's on the wish list when I can afford one :)

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1392518685.681886.jpg
Cut the end at 8 hours! Lol!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1392518748.776701.jpgcut a bar at 8 hours..... Lol!

Lbrown, you tease us with your tiger stripes! What percent water did you use? I'm thinking that might influence things?

I'll be making a cocoa pencil line soon, with curves and jags and angles. So even if I flip the loaf to cut, it's susceptible to DDM. This batch will have full water so I was thinking of waiting at least 2-3 days to cut it (well except for the ends anyway; a girl's gotta have a little fun). I really don't want that line to move! The longest I've waited is 4 days, but that was easy because I left town.

I am not that skilled ! I use the Brambleberry calculator for lye liquid and fragrance. It is a little soft but it is on a board so I don't have to handle it. I know I should wait! I won't slice it before tomorrow promise!

You really have a lot of patience! Post some pics! I haven't tried lines yet but some inspiration photos would help.

Last edited:
Clearly the best way to manage this is to make soap every day and start 3 days before you cut anything (maybe start and then have someone tie your arms to your side every time you look at the waiting loaves). Then every day you have something to cut to satisfy the urge!

Touch the loaf and if it feels sticky then it's too soon, wait until it feels smooth and has a dry touch to it and you can pick up the whole loaf in your hands without it denting in. That's about the only way I can explain it, it all comes down to practice and the experience, as you go along you will know when it's ready. For me it's make one day, put it in the frig, unmould the following morning let sit one day and night, then maybe cut the next or wait another day. So that's 3 to 4 days. Just don't get too impatient.

Back