CPOP- first time, overheating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
I can't find anything in the search, as it seems like all of the talk of CPOP overheating involves milk or honey.

I made a 92% OO, 8% castor oil soap and poured it at medium/thick trace. I put it in a silicone loaf pan, and put it in the oven at 170. The first hour seemed fine, but now it seems like it looks like all of the photos I've seen of overheating! It bubbled up, and looks like mini mountains forming. I took it out of the oven, tapped it down, and it's better but still ugly.

Will it settle down now out of the oven?

When I used to do this process what I found worked for me was to preheat the oven, put the soap in and turn off the oven.

I preheat the oven to 125 F - put the soap in, oven turned on for only one hour, then turn of, and wait 12-24 hours to unmold.
If I use my big loaf mold, I preheat that too.

Well, it's definitely the ugliest soap I have ever made, but it was firm enough to cut just now. It's got a partial gel appearance in the middle, along with a white streak. It seems to be a stearic acid streak, but it's 92% OO and 8% castor oil. It doesn't zap, but it's ugly on top and in the middle. Well, the bottom is sort of ugly, too. :D But I can use it for myself and not worry too much about the appearance. But I'd sure like to fix the issue so I don't have it happen again, if anybody has any ideas!

Latest posts

Back