Couple CPHP questions~

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimHartley24

Reaction score
Hi!! I'll just get right into it:

1. I've noticed that a lot of fragrance oils tend to have low flashpoints ~110-120 degrees F. When doing hot process in a crock pot and adding the FOs in at the very end, how to I manage the temperature so that the fragrance doesn't burn off, but the soap doesn't harden before reaching the mold?

2. IYHO, which is better, a crock pot with low-high-keep warm temperature settings or a dial that lets you choose the actual degrees Fahrenheit?

3. I've noticed when I CPHP that a thin layer of soap sticks to the side and burns a bit, turning lighter and papery. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the finished product, but the soap isn't one color anymore, it's swirled with the lighter soap. If there a way to prevent this...?

4. I've been cooking my HP's with the same amount of water I would for CP. Should I increase the amount...? I almost feel like I should double it!! <3

Thanks so much for answering my inane questions... you guys rock! <3 :D

I don't use a crockpot to HP, I use a large stainless steel pot. I also cook at a higher heat than a crockpot to speed things up. Regarding the the scents with low flash points, when they hit 200 degree soap, they will smoke. I only use a couple with low flash points and I add slightly more fragrance to account for the burn off. Most are not a problem.
Can't answer number 2 because I don't use a crockpot. I set the stove burner to high, then medium and lower if things go too fast.
Those bits can be stirred in and are only a problem when using something to color the soap or a fragrance that discolors. I hate the way they look. Increasing the water and stirring constantly is the only way I can prevent it.
I use double the amount of weight of lye if I am adding more liquid at the end like when making milk soaps. If I am only adding fragrance, I use the amount of water on soap calc. Too much water and the bars shrink unevenly as they dry and may take a while to dry. When the amount of water is just right, the soap when done will be almost like bread dough when the gluten just starts to develop. It will stick to itself more than the container you are using.

I use double the amount of weight of lye if I am adding more liquid at the end

Am I understnding this right? double the amount of lye?? Why would you do this for more liquid?

I think she meant that she uses an amount of water that's equal to twice the weight of lye. I think that's what was meant...

If I use 15 oz of lye, I would use 30 oz of water when additional liquid like milk is going to added at the end. Otherwise I would use the amount on soap calc.

KimHartley24 said:
Hi!! I'll just get right into it:

1. I've noticed that a lot of fragrance oils tend to have low flashpoints ~110-120 degrees F. When doing hot process in a crock pot and adding the FOs in at the very end, how to I manage the temperature so that the fragrance doesn't burn off, but the soap doesn't harden before reaching the mold?

Thanks so much for answering my inane questions... you guys rock! <3 :D

Flash points aren't relative in soapmaking, only in shipping and possibly candlemaking.

Deda said:
Flash points aren't relative in soapmaking, only in shipping and possibly candlemaking.

REALLY?! That's awesome! So even if it has a flash point of 110, and I pour it into my soap it wont burn off? The scent will be just as strong?? That makes my hands itch for mixing and measuring! Too bad no more soaping till my packages arrive! :)

Thank you very much Maria for clearing up my problem in regards to the amount of water... I have been using too little! It makes sense that it would act the way it has. (I'm embarrassed; I should have sussed it out!)

Thanks again~~

flashing off and flash point are different.
flash point refers to the temp at which the fumes can be ignited by a flame.

water "flashes off" when it hits a hot surface, but good luck lighting the steam on fire.

and as Deda (I think) said, once you mix the FO with anything else it's flash point changes.

yea you can have evaporation no matter what the flash point if you pour it onto a hot surface - so if you are HPing you can lose some (make it easier on yourself - add some regular oil to your FO and don't add when the soap is steaming hot). but it won't happen because of that in CP.

this said, the pH of CP soap can morph some fragrances, and the whole process and end product can change or mute the fragrance..

If I use 15 oz of lye, I would use 30 oz of water when additional liquid like milk is going to added at the end. Otherwise I would use the amount on soap calc.

oh, sorry :oops:

Latest posts

Back