Cold Process Soap Design and Layering

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixL

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’d like to make cold process soap with some interesting top layer like the ones on the following website. The top layer is not flat but have some curved and slanted edges.

http://www.finchberry.com/collections/soaps

How can I accomplish it? I attempted a couple of times but the soap was too soft after the trace to make it happen. Is there any tricks and tips that you can share with us?

Additionally, is there anything I can do to harden the bottom layers faster before adding another layer in the CP soap layering process? Perhaps, adding some powder between the layer? I think I saw it being done in one of the youtube videos though I don’t know what that powder is.

Thanks.

If you want to have sculpted tops pour at a thicker trace or just wait until the soap starts to thicken ITM and use a spoon, chopsticks whatever you like to manipulate it into a shape your happy with.
You can pour the lower layer at a thick trace and while thats setting you can make up another batch for the top, by then the lower layer should have firmed enough to put the top layer on without it moving. The powder between the layers is purely decorative to divide the layers, it can be something like cocoa.

I've done it like Relle9 suggested. You can even wait a day to pour the second layer. I have also embedded a layer---poured a thin layer, let firm up unmolded, made a fresh batch, poured part of it into a mold, place the firm layer in the middle and poured the rest of the batch on top.

you could just split your batter, colour, fragrance etc and then stick blend the bottom layer before pouring so it is thicker than the next layer, which will be at a lighter trace and float on top.

In saying that, some of the pics look like it was all just poured at a fairly thin trace over a spoon, wich would be why they have blended a bit. The top layer does look thicker though.

Different traces will give different results

Thanks a lot for the responses. It really helps. I'll try that another time.

I have one more question on cp soap making. Not sure I should create a new thread since it's not completely related to the original question.

Anyway, my question is that I made a lavender cp soap a couple of days ago. It has a swirl design with base soap color and lavender color. At the top, I put coarse grain salt as an additive and lavender buds. I should also mention that it is a castile soap that took a long time to trace. It only has olive oil and a tiny bit of castor oil in it.

When I tried unmolding it 24 hrs after, I saw that the top thin layer seemed to be still in gel phase. It still is even after 36 hrs. Somehow, the top part was solid. but when I touched the top part, it was like as if I was pressing the water bed or gel bed. I am not sure I am explaining it right. Is it possible that the salt additives did that? I am guessing it did because I also poured the same soap in another test mold. I didn't add salt to that one and it solidified just fine after 24 hours.

thanks.

Latest posts

Back