Coconut milk soap tips?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjbakke

Reaction score
I found some coconut milk on sale at the store. I want to try a coconut milk recipe. Any tips? I have successfully made goats milk soap before with the split method. Should I freeze the coconut milk first?

I just add all of my milk at trace - it works so well when the freezer method is usually 80% fail for me lol.

I had trouble adding lye to coconut milk the time I tried. It was so much easier just to add it to the oils. Unless you want coconut cream for all the liquid.

Coconut milk and coconut cream are two different animals. One is a "milk" and does not need to be frozen, and the other is usually sweetened and quite thick. I use coconut cream as half the liquid - stick blending it into the oils. I haven't tried the milk yet - but don't see why you couldn't just add your lye to it and then soap as usual.

The main difference between coconut cream and coconut milk, is that the milk has more water in it - in the cans I have seen anyway.

So I guess it would be easier to add milk to lye mixture than cream.

I use the cream 50/50 adding at trace.

I always freeze my milks for soap making. If they're frozen then I don't have to worry about it being burned or turning too yellow/brown, whatever. The milk always stay white when I freeze it ( in yogurt containers) completely.

will coconut milk discolor your soap? I've never used it in soap before either. I'd like to make a nice white bar with coconut milk it that's possible.

I think it can be added before OR after the lye solution. Lately I put it in before because I've left it out a couple of times and my soap was way water short!! Didn't hurt anything - but still!!

Coconut does not discolor soap. Go for it!!

So far the salt bars I made with Coconut milk are a creamy off-white. I added no TD, so the color is native to the bar itself.

No, the coconut cream I got was not sweetened. It really seemed no different than the milk but it was called "cream" on the can's label. I buy one or the other and they work out the same in a soap recipe.

The coconut milk I got is in a can, it is the one from Thailand. The ingredients in it are coconut extract, water, citric acid and a preservative sodium metabisulfite.

When you shake it it sounds very thick. The nutrition facts on it say 50% saturated fat so I am thinking it's more like coconut cream. I will try it using the split method.

I always add my coconut milk after the lye, at a light trace...but that's just how I've found it best for me when doing the split method. (which I always use when soaping with coconut milk, buttermilk, or goats milk) :)

Back