Cocoa Butter in Lip Balm - drying?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodeogal

Reaction score
I have made several recipes lately to come up with a lip balm I like. Many I have seen online contain cocoa butter, so I ordered some and tried it. The two batches I put it in seem to be very drying to my lips. Has anyone else had an issue with this? My lips are very dry naturally, so I don't know if this is a real issue, or just my dorkness. BTW, the cocoa butter was approx. 20% of the total recipe. Is that too much? Thanks for your feedback!

Here is the Cocoa Butter Lip Balm I make that seems to be everyone's favorite. No one has reported it to be drying, just the opposite.

Lip Balm Cocoa Peppermint
Target Wt 100g 4-Feb-13

Wax 20g 20.00% Beeswax (White)
Butter 1 25g 25.00% Shea Butter
Butter 2 15g 15.00% Natural Cocoa Butter
Oil 1 40g 40.00% Sweet Almond Oil
Additive 3.5g 3.50% Stevia Crystals
Additive 0.00 0.00% Dash of Cocoa Powder To Color
Fragrance 0.05g 0.05% Peppermint EO
104% Total Wt

Cocoa Peppermint Smell, Light, Very Pleasant, A Slight Sweet Note

Sorry for the poor formatting, I can't seem to get it the info to line up properly.

Last edited:
What is the rest of your ingredient list look like? I've been loving equal parts beeswax, cocoa butter, and coconut oil., though lately I have been playing around with less wax and more solid oils.

Should not be the problem with the cocoa butter. I made lip balm with cocoa butter contents for my friends and colleagues 2 years ago. They like it.

TRXFLYER - Thank you for the recipe. I tried a similar one, but with coconut/shea mix. I will give it a try. It is probably just my lips. LOL the whole world wears lipstick. Not moi, my lips are too dry!

lizflowers42 - The last one was beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil. .3 oz beeswax, .5 oz everything else. Oh and Vit. E drops.

Hey Liz, What a thought! Maybe I am allergic to the cocoa butter! I never even considered it, as I don't have any allergies that I am aware of. Wow, that makes sense though. Thank you for bringing up the possibility. I need to do some more experimenting!

Hey Liz, What a thought! Maybe I am allergic to the cocoa butter! I never even considered it, as I don't have any allergies that I am aware of. Wow, that makes sense though. Thank you for bringing up the possibility. I need to do some more experimenting!

I had this ah-ha moment with a co-worker who told me she was allergic to chocolate at some carry-in event. I asked her if she could use cocoa butter products and she said no, that was her trigger.

Personally, I don't know how anyone can survive without chocolate! I hope this isn't the case for you!

I just got some molds in today to make some solid lotion bars. I really had ordered the cocoa butter for the lotion bars. Now I am wondering how I will react to them? The test recipe I have been using does not have it in them and my skin loves them. I do not use scents or dyes, so I ordered the cocoa butter to give the lotion bars a slight scent instead of smelling like shea butter. Well, I may have one bar for me, and one for the public!

Rodeogal - I'm like you - I have extremely dry skin and my lips are even drier!! I can't wear lipstick or foundation as it's too drying. I tried so many lip balms- cheap ones and expensive ones from the stores but none worked. I also had allergies too (including allergy to chillies which I love and toothpaste - you should see me brush my teeth trying not to get toothpaste on my lips!!) which were worse when my skin was dry.

I then started making my own lip balm and experimented a lot. I found that adding 30% petrolatum/vaseline amazing. Try reducing your beeswax also to 15% and have your butters at 25% unrefined shea. Other people use lanolin too and find that v hydrating.

Latest posts

Back