castille soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra

Reaction score
Pure castille soap is made with 100% olive oil - yes?! When I use soapcalc its qualities are a really soft soap with 0 cleaning, is that really accurate?

Sandra -- soap is cleansing by nature, even a 100% olive oil soap would still be cleansing because it is an oil-dissolving salt.

Castille soap is known to be very mildly cleansing -- not drying, good for sensitive skin. Because of its high oleic acid content, soap made with olive oil is definitely on the soft side and can take longer to harden, as Pug Mom said.

Castille is one of my most popular soaps (unscented) - it takes longer to cure but to offset this I do a 5% water discount and only 5% superfat. It turns into a lovely creamy white soap that is incredibly gentle- in that I mean it doesn't strip the skin of its natural oils - it does however clean. The higher the "Cleaning" # the more drying the soap - IMO.

Pretty much all of my soaps have a large % of OO in them because I like the gentleness of this oil.

Another one that is really gentle is Bastille - 75% OO - 25% CO. Cures faster because of the CO.

HTH

Back