Can't find an answer anywhere...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant wait to see the last one cut...bet its going to be great!

Also, just remember that we are artisans, and sometimes just letting the soap 'do its own thing' produces some unexpected awesome looking designs.

Main thing is just slow down and let yourself experiment..nobody starts off at 'anything' being perfect..

To add to the saying above that you "have to learn to walk before you can run"

Mine would be..you have to 'climb' the ladder one step at a time, you can't just jump to the top. :)

What a lovely soap! Please post pics of the I side? Also, what tip did you use for the top? It has a really cool look!
My tops are in need of a lot of work...but one day and one soap at a time...followed by one (or two) glasses of wine
Depending upon my daily "lesson"

Thanks and thank you JStar. I didn't use a tip, just a spatula making little dabs on it till I liked it. I guess it worked. In my case, wine would probably be a disastrous variable lol! I unmolded, going to wait to cut. I expect the bottom will darken bc of FO, though I did use TD so hopefully it'll still stay a little lighter than the top. I'm happy though, so yay!
View attachment 12828
I was going to ask how you made the top too! It's pretty neat, and different! So see, even new soapers can teach more seasoned soapers something :) Good job!
The awesome thing about soap is that it keeps you guessing, lol. It's always different. Good luck and keep trying!

If it makes you feel any better, the first batch of soap I ever made was lye-heavy (5 lbs.-worth- what was I thinking!), and I threw it away.

My second batch of soap- also 5 lbs.-worth (what was I thinking, again!) was at the opposite end of the spectrum- it came down with a really bad case of DOS. It had a high amount of canola oil in it, and due to a brain fart, I accidentally super-fatted it at around 24%! It actually felt quite lovely on my skin, though, before the DOS came and the soap got too icky and sticky and had to be thrown away.

I think those were the only batches I ever threw away. Talk about bad beginnings! lol I'm glad I didn't give up, though, because things got a whole lot better with practice (and smaller batches to practice on, lol). Don't you give up either! :)

By the way, I am in mourning for your tossed batch of soap. :-( Unless it has DOS or has succumbed to some other horrible, irreversible fate that would render the soap dangerously unfit for use, I make every effort to save my botched batches, no matter how ugly. For example- I think your gray soap would have looked very pretty grated up and used as 'confetti' in a batch of pink soap.

IrishLass :)

See? Those are awesome! Bet they smell really good too..we need 'smelllovision' :)

Back