can you layer fresh cp on old cp?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drum roll please ......... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

*and cue the clown music*

After cutting off the black mess, they look alright as a theory but didn't stick together. In the oven the bottom portion gelled but the top portion that had already been heated in the crock just got hard like the over cooked bread that it was. I think I'll toss the blue 1/2's because I don't think I can mess with them any further. The yellow 1/2's might make chopped embeds but they have cornmeal in them as well so I don't know how far I can push them without making another batch of bread :oops:.

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

Of course you can. Just make sure the cure date reflects the newer cp. Example...made a cp cup cake 3 weeks ago with 1 week to go....adding piping today......the cure date is now an additional 4 weeks...not the 1 week it had left.

OH .. but I'm ok with the batch that I blew the colour on. I made these out of 1/2 but will let it get more solid and then cut some into chunks and pieces. The colour doesn't show well in this photo, they're a seafoam green.

IMG_3844.jpg

Aww the blue and yellow look so good together with the pencil line. Did any stay in one piece? If not, do it again, they look great! Um....do it differently though lol. The blue bits I'd keep. Might be some awesome feeling soap when you use it. Do you felt soaps at all? I'd be felting those suckers.

It's been an entertaining batch to watch from the sidelines. Thanks for sharing the highs and lows. I hope you post the mess pic in that other thread. I should take one too next time. When I make soap I swear I must look like the Swedish Chef on a bender.

The blue bits I'd keep. Might be some awesome feeling soap when you use it. Do you felt soaps at all? I'd be felting those suckers.

The blue bits are hard ... really hard. Like play dough that's been cooked for hours. It doesn't feel right. I'll let it sit for a bit and test it before tossing it but I have a feeling it's crap.

I've never felted soap but I just happen to have a LOT of yarn and some wood fibre hanging around so maybe felting it would be a good idea (if it's worth keeping)

I wasn't smart enough to quit while I was behind, LOL! With all my stuff and oils out I decided I might as well make some more soap and I've been itching to try an ombre with a new blue oxide I just bought.

Mixed everything up and poured the blue into the pot ............... DOAH!!!!! before I took out the white portion .. what a dummy. I decided on the spot I was just going to move on and try it again but I had no other molds available so I just dumped it all in a rubber maid container and will cut it up later for embeds of some sort. What a poor use of supplies.

Even when I mixed it all again and poured it properly I could tell it wasn't working the way I wanted. The base oils made the whole thing a bit on the yellow side so as the blues got lighter it started turning green and then I forgot to keep a little bit out for the final layer so my final layer is the icky greenish yellow colour of someone with motion sickness. Oh well, maybe it will look better once it's cured. If not I will have lots and lots of embeds, LOL!

I need to learn to stop when things are going pear shaped.

You never know when it cures it could be beautiful, green and blue look nice together!

It's an experiment you hopefully won't repeat, save a little and try it sometime! The blue is beautiful and looked great with the yellow.

The blue bits are hard ... really hard. Like play dough that's been cooked for hours. It doesn't feel right. I'll let it sit for a bit and test it before tossing it but I have a feeling it's crap.

I've never felted soap but I just happen to have a LOT of yarn and some wood fibre hanging around so maybe felting it would be a good idea (if it's worth keeping)

Hmm yeah sounds dehydrated to death. **** shame cause your soap was so darn cute.

Hmm yeah sounds dehydrated to death. **** shame cause your soap was so darn cute.

I suspect you can't HP anything with cornmeal in it. It just soaked up all the moisture and died. Lesson learned.

I still have a few discs of the original yellow left so ... back to the original experiment .. with NO thinking this time. I'll mix a fresh batch of CP soap and pour it over them. NO pencil line either .. LOL!

Latest posts

Back