Can I make a nice bar with these oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna75126

Reaction score
I am trying to clear up my area and I want to make soap with the oils that I have on hand.
Can I make a good soap with the following oils. The amounts that I have are listed.

Avocado Oil 6 oz
Safflower 15 oz
Virgin Coconut 16 oz
Castor OIl 16 oz
Olive oil 8 oz
Apricot Kernel oil 3 oz
Shea Butter 6 0z
Cocoa butter 6 oz
Veg. Glycerine

Donna

Acccording to SoapCalc you will have a highly conditioning bar with about 30 for hardness. If I were you, I would go easy on the Castor oil. I usually only make Castor oil about 5% of my recipe.

If you're feeling a little experimental, you could separate the oils and try the crazy recipes below. I don't have any idea how they'll turn out but who knows? Sometimes odd recipes turn out nice.

I have to admit I liked the look of this one. It would probably need a longer curing period because it might be a little soft. The iodine level is 72 but when I tried to drop the safflower, the CO percentage went up higher than I prefer. But you might consider lowering the safflower and trying it if you like more CO in a batch.

3 oz Apricot Kernel Oil
4 oz Cocoa Butter
8 oz Coconut Oil
5 oz Safflower Oil
6 oz Olive Oil
2 oz Castor Oil

The values of this batch are in line with what I like to use for shower bars and I also like to use beer for the liquid. However, the castor oil percentage is a little higher than I normally use so I don’t know if it will be sticky.

3 oz Shea Butter
2 oz Cocoa Butter
6 oz Coconut Oil
4 oz Safflower Oil
2 oz Olive Oil
3 oz Castor Oil

or to make it slightly more conditioning (but slightly softer)
Again, castor percentage is a little high

3 oz Shea Butter
2 oz Cocoa Butter
5 oz Coconut Oil
4 oz Safflower Oil
2 oz Olive Oil
3 oz Castor Oil

You're still going to end up with leftover oils. Perhaps you could use the rest of the oils and shea in a scrub. Although, you’re still going to have a lot of castor left.

If you'd be willing to buy some more CO and OO from a local store, you could make a couple more batches. I think LouAna coconut oil comes in a 31 oz container. You could use some of it to make a salt batch.

15 oz Coconut Oil
2 oz Avocado Oil
1 oz Castor Oil
20% SF
I like to use about 75% salt so in a batch this size I'd add 13.5 oz salt.

Buy a 34 oz bottle of olive (which will be slightly more than 34 oz in weight because these bottles are filled according to fluid oz). Use the whole bottle, the remaining coconut, the remaining AVO and some castor.

34 oz Olive Oil
15 oz Coconut Oil
4 oz Avocado Oil
4 oz Castor Oil

However, you'd still have 6 oz safflower and 6 oz of castor left. I don't know what you can do with the glycerin. You didn't post how much you had of it. If it's not a large amount, you could split it up between all the batches to add a little more glycerin to the soap.

Hi Hazel,
I do not mind being a little experimental. I think I will try one of the ones you suggested. I dont mind buying alittle more oils. I was trying to clear out what I had because I am going to redo the room I keep all my soap stuff in. I have never done a salt bar. Is it more for a scrub bar of soap? I forgot I also have about 8 oz of grapeseed oil in the fridge. My plan tomorrow is make soap

Donna

I use fine grained sea salt or table salt for my salt bars so they're not scrubby. They seem to be slightly exfoliating and my skin feels very soft afterwards. Here are some links where salt bars are discussed. Sorry, but it's faster to paste links than to explain why I like salt bars. BTW, it is personal preference because I know several people have said they don't like salt bars. You might prefer to use IrishLass' recipe because a lot of people have commented on how wonderful it turns out. I just added the other oils into the salt bar recipe because I was trying to use up some of the oils you have on hand. I like sunflower/castor in salt bars better than avocado/castor.

viewtopic.php?p=242390
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30840
viewtopic.php?p=159073

You could substitute the grapeseed for one of the other conditioning soft oils.

Hazel had some great ideas. If you have any oils left over, why not use some of those oils to make lotions, grapeseed oil is a great, light oil for lotions. You could also use some of your oils in a sugar or salt scrub.

Latest posts

Back