Body Oil Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phena86

Reaction score
Hello,
If I were to make a body oil using the following ingredients; what would be the best measurements for a 4 oz and 8 oz size?

Rice Bran
Sunflower Oil
Shea Oil
Fractionated Coconut Oil
Licorice Root Extract
Vitamin E Oil
Fragrance Oil

My two cents: skip the fractionated coconut oil, shea oil, and licorice root extract. I don't think fractionated coconut oil brings anything extra to the party that you don't already get by using RBO and Sunflower. I haven't worked with Shea oil, but it might be a pricey ingredient and if you're not using it for something else there's no reason to keep it in your inventory for this. (If you have some and you're looking to use it up, then carry on!) Licorice root extract is water soluble so it won't mix well with the oils unless you add some kind of emulsifier.

That said, I make a body oil with a majority of jojoba, and the remainder is equal parts sunflower and avocado oils.
Vitamin E oil - check the recommended usage rate for a body oil. I think it's usually less than 5%? I only use it in my lotions at 1-2%.
Fragrance will depend on the usage rate for body oil for the fragrance you want to use. Usually I find the usage rate will be higher than the 1% end up using to get a good scent, but it is good to check as some fragrances may not be recommended to use for b&b products.
Additionally I add dimethicone to my body oils to help it absorb faster and leave a dry finish (no greasy hands).

Once you figure out your ingredient percentages, you'll be able to scale up or down your recipe to fit the size that you need.

My two cents: skip the fractionated coconut oil, shea oil, and licorice root extract. I don't think fractionated coconut oil brings anything extra to the party that you don't already get by using RBO and Sunflower. I haven't worked with Shea oil, but it might be a pricey ingredient and if you're not using it for something else there's no reason to keep it in your inventory for this. (If you have some and you're looking to use it up, then carry on!) Licorice root extract is water soluble so it won't mix well with the oils unless you add some kind of emulsifier.

That said, I make a body oil with a majority of jojoba, and the remainder is equal parts sunflower and avocado oils.
Vitamin E oil - check the recommended usage rate for a body oil. I think it's usually less than 5%? I only use it in my lotions at 1-2%.
Fragrance will depend on the usage rate for body oil for the fragrance you want to use. Usually I find the usage rate will be higher than the 1% end up using to get a good scent, but it is good to check as some fragrances may not be recommended to use for b&b products.
Additionally I add dimethicone to my body oils to help it absorb faster and leave a dry finish (no greasy hands).

Once you figure out your ingredient percentages, you'll be able to scale up or down your recipe to fit the size that you need.
thanks!

Latest posts

Back