Cafe de Savon molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleraine

Reaction score
Anyone tried their acrylic molds here? Am hooked onto the soapmaking bug than I decided to get one. My silicon mold works fine but it's always bulging in the center even after placing it in a metal mold. Gah.

Any comments or tips or tricks with acrylic molds?

I haven't tried it, but it looks really interesting. Let us know how it works out for you. I just bought a Woodfields silicone lined mold that I absolutely adore.

Okies...so I tried out the mold for my latest soap. It's the milk soap size which gives a bar that is 5cm wide and 7cm tall (or the other way around depending on how you look at it) (if you use 700 gms of oil). Just line the bottom with saran wrap, pop on the base and that's it.

When I first got it, I thought it looked a bit tad small but hey, it worked for my regular 700 gm recipe. The material made the saran wrap easy to adhere to compared to my regular silicon mould. I insulated my soap because I wasn't sure how the mould would take to not insulating. It gelled in under 6 hours and was complete by 10-12 hours. By 24 hours, soap is cool and ready for unmolding.

Unmolding was a bit tricky - the mold comes with a flat plate which you're supposed to put on the bottom (remove the plastic), then put the whole thing on top of two spice jars and pull down. It wouldn't budge at first so I placed it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and hey presto, I got the soap out.

The rest is the usual cut into bars, etc. I got about 8 half-inch bars and 4 one-inch bars from this loaf. Am very tempted to get more molds (they have smaller ones) but I think my hubby will kill me since I'm just a hobbyist. :p

Another update:

I had a hard time unmoulding today. Freezing didn't help but the oven did. 50°C for 10-15 minutes plus A LOT of muscle put into it. Talk about getting exercise through soapmaking!

Thank you for your update of the mold. Yeah, I hear you. I want to get more molds, too, but I can't justify the cost. Acrylic molds seem fantastic since they are transparent, but silicone seems unbeatable for easy release of the soap.

Ah...silicon is easy...way easy.

Anyway, another update. I tried unmoulding a soap - with butters (25%) and the usual coconut (25%) and olive oil (40%) about 16 hours into bedding and it came out very easily. So I reckon if you unmould anywhere from 16-18 hours, no muscle strength, oven or freezer needed. Of course it means that your log is still a bit on the soft side but it'll be firm enough to hold up to gentle handling!

Can you please tell me where you ordered your molds (Acrylic or Plexi) I found some in Japan that look wonderful but I am having trouble translating the language back and forth.
Thank You

Just as an idea, it works on plastic molds and pvc tubes. Oil it with mineral oil, just a light oiling, and since it won't saponify it allows the soap to slip out quite easily....

I wasn't expecting to find any info on this Japanese shop here! Really wonderful forum. I was looking at buying the milk size acrylic mold as well. I originally wanted the tall mold but it's really tiny. Thanks for the info! Also, just incase anybody is interested, the same shop sells this rectangle box that's suppose to help unmold. There's also another accessory you can buy that helps...looks like handles you can snap on the ends.
By the way, the store is also on global rakuten. It might be easier to navigate if you don't know Japanese. http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/cafe-de-savon/item/a1081203/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

Latest posts

Back