Bad soaping day turns good?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbrown123

Reaction score
I have been so busy this weekend I have not had time to think. I was trying to make Songwinds shaving soap but I only had 4.5 oz of coconut oil. So I made up the balance with some mixed oils I had in a jar from a recipe I didn't finish. It foamed up and did not look like anything good I added a tablespoon of Shea , then Mango butter, glycerin, little more mixture. I rolled it in wax paper like someone did on his thread. I was prepared to toss it out it looked so ugly but I tested a bit and was really surprised at how quickly it lathered! Oh My! It might be gift worthy!

I love it when that happens. My base recipe, which is a variation of a recipe I used 15 years ago, was "discovered" by a similar means. Had some extra oils that weren't enough to keep, so I decided to just make a soap to use them up. haha. Glad it worked out for you.

I've been having fun with that shaving soap thread. Made about 4 different variations of it so far and making another today. It's a great thread. Those guys are serious about their shaving soap and really seem to have great grasp on it.

I agree, sometimes accidents happen. As long as you added the oil differences in soapcalc you should be fine. I too have made many variations until I found the one that my husband and customers like.

I am on my third attempt at a shaving soap for hubby. He has tested my skills as he has extremely dry itchy skin. I have yet to make the exact Songwind recipe but just got back from the store with coconut oil. The previous soaps did OK but left him dry afterwards. I am sending him off to test.

A bit of coco butter or lanolin added after the cook might help with his dry skin. I've only use the coco butter and quite like it.

Thanks Obsidian I will try another batch this weekend with the cocoa butter to see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back