Attaching Pre-made Embeds on top of CP soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tienne

Reaction score
Hi guys!

One of my friends just got a new cat and I wanted to make her some rimmed oval soaps with cat cameos on top. I have bought some small silicone moulds for making the cameos, but I am unsure of how best to proceed.

Should I make the cameos using the same CP batter as the soap itself or would it be okay to use MP to make them?

After I unmould the soaps, what would be the best way to get the cameos stuck onto the soaps? Should I just "glue" them on top with water or should I use Isopropyl alcohol or? Is there a difference in which way I should stick them on depending on if the cameos are MP or CP? (I have never tried using MP before, but I do have some if necessary.) I really want to try and avoid getting any smooshy edges between the cameos and the soap.

If anyone has any advise for sticking pre-made embeds on top of soaps, it would be greatly appreciated.

The ovals soap I want to make have a flat surface (Crafter's Choice Mold 1604) and here's what the cameos I want stuck on top would look like;

$_1.JPG

Mold 1604 (Small).jpeg

Last edited:
that is one cute mold! are u gonna do it mp? i mean the embed will be nicer if done in 2 colors. this is just a quick think, but maybe it's gonna be easier to place the embed to a cp soap, better suspension. wait till it's harden a bit and place the embed gently. it needs to be the right consistency, otherwise it will sunk. when i put small raspberry mp embeds on top of my cp, i placed it a lil too soon, and they sunk. so yea, wait a while me thinks.. i think it's gonna make one helluva cute gift! :)

Thanks guys!

Effy, (Is it okay to call you that? LOL) I'd rather not have the cat image stamped into the soap, I'd like it be raised. I've also never tried making my own stamps (yet) but my soap supply budget is running low right now and that would mean I would have to fork out more money on resin plus wait to make the soap! Ugh! Everything I buy online seems to take at least a month to get here and I can't wait that long, either! I wanna make these soaps NOW! :lol:

Seven, I understand what you mean and it would be a heck of a lot easier if I could just put the cameo on top of the soap right after pouring (when the soap was at a right consistency of course) but the problem is, that the surface where the cameo is to be put is at the bottom of the mould! (Because of the rim on the soap.) I have to unmould the CP soap to get to that surface. I also can't just put the cameo in before pouring, because the raised-ness of the cameo would make the CP batter run underneath the cameo, since it would have to be put in upside down.

What would you do? Is it at all possible to "glue" an MP cameo to a CP soap in any way? It would be nice if I could make the cameo in two colours and the finer details of the cameo would probably come out much better if I did use MP, don't you reckon? I have no experience whatsoever with using MP and don't really know if I can stick those two soap types to each other.

Last edited:
I use melt and pour embeds (sea shells, flowers, leaves) on top of cold process all the time with no problems. Just make sure that your cold process is not too thin or the embed may sink and that it is not too set or the embed will not stay put. The CP has to be thick enough to be able to press the embed into the surface slightly. I have never had a melt and pour embed come loose.
I would be afraid to put a melt and pour embed on the bottom of the mold because I think that it could melt if your soap gels and heats up too much.

@Seven

If you go to ebay and type "silicone cat mould" you would not believe how many sickeningly cute moulds you can get! :lol: Here are some with cute little kittens on them! Aren't they just to die for! LOL My friend's new cat is a grown cat, so I had to go with something more "adult" unfortunately, but I could go bananas buying all sorts of fun little moulds... but I still need to know how to get them stuck to a CP soap, of course! LOL

kitten cameo 2 (Small).JPG

kitten cameo (Small).JPG

Last edited:
How hard does MP set up? I wouldn't want to risk squishing the poor cat's face while pressing it into the soap. :lol:

What if roughed up the surface a bit with, say, a pointy skewer and then put a few drops of isopropyl alcohol on there and then stuck cameos made with MP onto that? Would the isoprop make the CP soap gluey enough? Would that work? Then I could maybe just drop the cameo in the right spot without ruining and deforming it as I suspect I would be prone to do. :lol:

I wish I had experience using MP so I knew more about how I could use it to my advantage, but as usual, making these soaps was just the spur of the moment idea and I didn't think too much about the "how to" of it all.

MP sets up very very hard, so that part shouldn't be a problem. I don't think alcohol will help you, tho. The main body of the soap needs to be hard enough to unmold before you can put your embeds on, so I think I would "glue" the kitties in place with some MP. Not too much so it runs out the sides when you press down, but enough to hold it firmly in place.

HTH

Thanks new12soap! That would be the easiest way to go, I reckon. You don't think there would be any problems getting the "MP glue" to adhere properly to the CP soap? If I could just use melted MP as the glue itself, then that would by far be the easiest method for sure! I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm really relieved that no one has said that it can't be done and that's what I was mostly worried about. :)

Oh, I almost forgot! Effy, different kinds of "Admirable Lady" cameo moulds are available, too! :D

You can of course get silicone moulds with the cameo impression already built into the moulds, but having the cameos separate does give one a few more options, being that you can then switch and swap what shape the base soap would be. I just thought I'd mention that in case the wifey has a birthday coming up or something. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
noooooooo.... i don't wanna look on ebay, my pocket is in desperate need to recuperate from my last melbourne trip! :D

ah okay, now i understand.. so you wanna put the embed on the backside of the soap. hmmmm... okay, then i guess i agree with new12soap, a lil melted mp will serve as a nice glue. yes, it sets up very hard, so you don't have to worry.

what kind of mp base are you using?

noooooooo.... i don't wanna look on ebay

Omg, that made me laugh big time! :lol: I know exactly what you mean. I cannot get on eBay or Amazon and come away without having spent waaaay too much. That's exactly how I blew my soaping budget.

what kind of mp base are you using?

I've bought some of the white and some of the transparent kind from Mystic Moments. I have NO idea if I have bought the right kind, but the customer reviews were okay, soooo I just clicked and added it to my basket. I am clueless about MP so I was totally shopping blind. I won't be using it for full soaps, just for little embeds and embellishments so I hope it's okay;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005A2P4UO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a zombie thread, but I just wanted to share my experiences with others about this topic, since when you Google this (sticking or glueing MP to CP), not much info comes up (actually none at all... The only info that comes up is embedding MP into freshly poured CP- ie: not applicable), and this thread, which is the "holy grail" of actually attaching MP soap pieces directly onto hardened bars of CP soap. I'm hoping maybe others who are trying to find an answer will find some helpful info here, even if this thread was started years ago.

Like OP, I too wanted to attach a cameo piece of soap (made out of MP) onto the face of a bar of CP soap. I had a problem tho... My soap was a loaf, so I couldn't attach the MP cameo piece until after my CP soap was cut. I decided I'd do a test batch... Just something small I could play around with & it wouldn't be a total loss if my experimenting came back unsuccessful (or if I messed up the soaps in the process!).

Here's what I found: MP soap just doesn't want to stick, or adhere to CP. I made my MP cameos, I made my CP soap (and cut the bars), and then I melted down some MP base to act as "glue". The MP cameos surely did stick to my CP bars (and I even scored both the backside of the MP embeds and the CP bar itself), and it stuck... For a little bit. The tiniest effort to pull the MP piece off, resulted in that very thing happening... It would FEEL firmly attached, and STAY attached, but a simple prying with my fingers would pop that MP embed piece right off again. And the melted MP soap I had put down as "glue" on top of my CP bar would peel right off too, as if it had never been there. It was frustrating because it was imperative that these MP cameo pieces STAY on the bars throughout use, not just to be temporarily decorative (ie: I didn't want my MP cameo pieces popping off in my customer's hands).

So then I thought, "Well, I just won't TRY to pull them off. I'll be gentle & they'll stay put, and surely the first time someone gets these bars wet, that MP cameo piece will stay affixed to the CP soap!"... I was WRONG! As my CP bars cured & lost water weight, the bars naturally shrunk down in size, and when this happened, I slowly watched many of my "glued" MP cameo pieces pop right off on their own.

Ok, so that wasn't the solution, but there HAD to be one! MP just doesn't want to stick to CP for the long haul, so I thought I'd just make my cameo embeds with CP instead... That was a nightmare! My tiny, intricate little cameo mold just isn't made for CP. Didn't matter how fluid my batter was, if I wanted the tiny intricacies of the mold to be imparted to soap, it had to be MP, which put me back at square one: How to affix these MP pieces to cut CP soap bars & make them STAY PUT!

My next attempt was rubbing alcohol and that turned out being a fast "NOPE!". I saturated both my CP bars & MP cameos well with RA (not too much, but just enough), and after a bit of slip-sliding around, those MP cameos seemed to have stuck!... Until the alcohol evaporated & then they just popped right off again. *SIGH*.

So what was next?? I thought about whipping up a quick batch of CP soap frosting, putting a small dollup of that on the back of my MP embed piece & sticking it to the bar that way, but as a last ditch effort to try to find an easier way (and a way that would leave my MP piece sitting completely flush on the face of my CP bar), I decided to give distilled water a try.

I saturated the back of my MP cameo pieces with as much water as I could without affecting any of the design on the front, and then used a soft bristle paint brush to wetten the face of my CP bar too, but only in the spot where I'd be laying down the MP cameo piece. Just like the RA, there was a little bit of slip-sliding around, so I just gently held the MP piece to the face of my CP soap, just to the point where it would stay there on its own, and then I left it completely be. If I continued to futz-around with it, it wasn't going to ever stay put, and if I sat there applying pressure, I risked ruining the face of my MP soap pieces and/or my CP soap. So a tiny bit of light pressure, just until the MP cameos weren't sliding around, and would stick on their own, and then I left them completely be for about 12hrs.

When I came back to check if my MP cameos were going to stay put on my CP soaps, a hammer & chisel would've been needed to get these suckers to come apart!! THEY WERE FIRMLY ATTACHED TO MY SOAPS & NO AMOUNT OF PRYING WAS GONNA POP THEM OFF!!! As my CP soaps cured, the bond only became stronger, and when I tested a bar in the shower, the MP piece never came off! It had become firmly welded to the CP bar!

So from a lady who spent weeks upon weeks of frustrating experimenting to find the best, most lasting way to get MP soap pieces to STAY adhered to hardened CP soap bars, I can happily share that distilled water is the way to go!

I hope this helps someone out there because it's info I would've loved to have found myself, but that's ok because it ended up being a worth-it experience, and if I can help just ONE person, it makes it that much more so! Happy soaping everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks Abeltran! Even though a 'zombie thread', your post is most helpful in providing a solution to common but annoying problem that will help others. :)

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
I know this is a zombie thread, but I just wanted to share my experiences with others about this topic, since when you Google this (sticking or glueing MP to CP), not much info comes up (actually none at all... The only info that comes up is embedding MP into freshly poured CP- ie: not applicable), and this thread, which is the "holy grail" of actually attaching MP soap pieces directly onto hardened bars of CP soap. I'm hoping maybe others who are trying to find an answer will find some helpful info here, even if this thread was started years ago.

Like OP, I too wanted to attach a cameo piece of soap (made out of MP) onto the face of a bar of CP soap. I had a problem tho... My soap was a loaf, so I couldn't attach the MP cameo piece until after my CP soap was cut. I decided I'd do a test batch... Just something small I could play around with & it wouldn't be a total loss if my experimenting came back unsuccessful (or if I messed up the soaps in the process!).

Here's what I found: MP soap just doesn't want to stick, or adhere to CP. I made my MP cameos, I made my CP soap (and cut the bars), and then I melted down some MP base to act as "glue". The MP cameos surely did stick to my CP bars (and I even scored both the backside of the MP embeds and the CP bar itself), and it stuck... For a little bit. The tiniest effort to pull the MP piece off, resulted in that very thing happening... It would FEEL firmly attached, and STAY attached, but a simple prying with my fingers would pop that MP embed piece right off again. And the melted MP soap I had put down as "glue" on top of my CP bar would peel right off too, as if it had never been there. It was frustrating because it was imperative that these MP cameo pieces STAY on the bars throughout use, not just to be temporarily decorative (ie: I didn't want my MP cameo pieces popping off in my customer's hands).

So then I thought, "Well, I just won't TRY to pull them off. I'll be gentle & they'll stay put, and surely the first time someone gets these bars wet, that MP cameo piece will stay affixed to the CP soap!"... I was WRONG! As my CP bars cured & lost water weight, the bars naturally shrunk down in size, and when this happened, I slowly watched many of my "glued" MP cameo pieces pop right off on their own.

Ok, so that wasn't the solution, but there HAD to be one! MP just doesn't want to stick to CP for the long haul, so I thought I'd just make my cameo embeds with CP instead... That was a nightmare! My tiny, intricate little cameo mold just isn't made for CP. Didn't matter how fluid my batter was, if I wanted the tiny intricacies of the mold to be imparted to soap, it had to be MP, which put me back at square one: How to affix these MP pieces to cut CP soap bars & make them STAY PUT!

My next attempt was rubbing alcohol and that turned out being a fast "NOPE!". I saturated both my CP bars & MP cameos well with RA (not too much, but just enough), and after a bit of slip-sliding around, those MP cameos seemed to have stuck!... Until the alcohol evaporated & then they just popped right off again. *SIGH*.

So what was next?? I thought about whipping up a quick batch of CP soap frosting, putting a small dollup of that on the back of my MP embed piece & sticking it to the bar that way, but as a last ditch effort to try to find an easier way (and a way that would leave my MP piece sitting completely flush on the face of my CP bar), I decided to give distilled water a try.

I saturated the back of my MP cameo pieces with as much water as I could without affecting any of the design on the front, and then used a soft bristle paint brush to wetten the face of my CP bar too, but only in the spot where I'd be laying down the MP cameo piece. Just like the RA, there was a little bit of slip-sliding around, so I just gently held the MP piece to the face of my CP soap, just to the point where it would stay there on its own, and then I left it completely be. If I continued to futz-around with it, it wasn't going to ever stay put, and if I sat there applying pressure, I risked ruining the face of my MP soap pieces and/or my CP soap. So a tiny bit of light pressure, just until the MP cameos weren't sliding around, and would stick on their own, and then I left them completely be for about 12hrs.

When I came back to check if my MP cameos were going to stay put on my CP soaps, a hammer & chisel would've been needed to get these suckers to come apart!! THEY WERE FIRMLY ATTACHED TO MY SOAPS & NO AMOUNT OF PRYING WAS GONNA POP THEM OFF!!! As my CP soaps cured, the bond only became stronger, and when I tested a bar in the shower, the MP piece never came off! It had become firmly welded to the CP bar!

So from a lady who spent weeks upon weeks of frustrating experimenting to find the best, most lasting way to get MP soap pieces to STAY adhered to hardened CP soap bars, I can happily share that distilled water is the way to go!

I hope this helps someone out there because it's info I would've loved to have found myself, but that's ok because it ended up being a worth-it experience, and if I can help just ONE person, it makes it that much more so! Happy soaping everyone!
This made my day coming across this. Thank you so much! I appreciate your efforts and I will be trying this.

Thank you Abletran for all of the detail on both your failures and your success! I found this information very informative and useful.

Latest posts

Back