April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to prepare for my first (I say first cos I am certain this is going to take more than one try to get right!!)

My mould holds around 400g of oils and has dimensions: 3.625x3.625 square with a highly of 2.625 inches. Is this going to work??

How does this tilt height look?

View attachment 20333

Have you started yet Sonia? My gut instinct is that you need a tad higher tilt. Hopefully someone else can say for sure :)

I tried again today but my FO accelerated. It was so thick by the time I started to pour, that the layers just piled up on each other. I plopped the colours in and swung the hangar through it a few times. Not sure how it will look, but hey I remembered the fragrance!

I think I'll try with EO's next as they give me so much more time!

Sorry, here!!! It looks a little shallow. I'd tilt more by a tad, or fill the base slightly higher than the corner. Eyeball it, if it appears shallow do a little more or try it slightly taller on the tilt.

Thanks Rowan and LP. Haven't started yet, just waiting for things to cool down. I will push my veg peeler further under to give a steeper tilt

I'm wondering if today was a stupid day to use a new FO, liquorice.

Thanks Rowan and LP. Haven't started yet, just waiting for things to cool down. I will push my veg peeler further under to give a steeper tilt

I'm wondering if today was a stupid day to use a new FO, liquorice.

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine!

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine!

Epic fail!!

Soap was barely at emulsion and went for it. Colours merged into each other, used my hanger but as it was so thin it wouldn't have dragged any wispy bits.

Then to top it off it separated in the mould so shoved it in the slow cooker. Was using my spatula to plop the muddy mess into the mould then realised 2 bits of plastic had broken off my spatula into the soap somewhere.

So it's in the bin!!

I have just prepared new oils and lye water for tomorrow.

At least it was only a 400g of oil batch

Well, the fiasco isn't so bad after all. I think it's pretty, I like it, and if I wasn't trying for something specific I'd be very happy with it. I need more base in the bottom. I was out running errands today. Couldn't find wire hangers OR thin gear ties anywhere. I'm still going to look for something, but what do you think - is this OK to use for another try?

IMG_20160405_174535535_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160405_174640148.jpg

Ooh, Dibbles, that's really a fine looking soap. Love your choice of colors -- this reminds me of how my lilacs will look in a few more weeks.

Ooh, Dibbles, that's really a fine looking soap. Love your choice of colors -- this reminds me of how my lilacs will look in a few more weeks.

Well, how we hope they will look anyway. I don't know if it is as cold in Iowa as it is a little further north, but it is just plain cold and nasty out here. Whining about the weather aside, thank you. My scent is a lavender/chamomile/mint EO blend, and I really like purple and green together, ergo the color choice.

Dibbles, your soap is very pretty. Perfect for a spring soap. You should be very happy with it. About the hanger, I had a hard time bending mine to fit well. I had 1 in the house.

I'm nobody but a newb with 2 whole batches of soap under my belt but Dibbles, that is the absolutely prettiest soap EVER. My favorite colors!!

Love it, Dibbles! The colors are stellar. What are you using for your dark purple? It's so rich.

If people don't have a wire hanger and want to use something thin, you can break a bamboo skewer to the proper length and then wind a bit of wire around each end to make the handles. I have a couple different gauges of steel wire in the house that I have used to make a swirl tool and it works pretty well. With it, you can use dowels of different diameters or you can string a straw onto a bamboo skewer to get something thicker.

Well, the fiasco isn't so bad after all. I think it's pretty, I like it, and if I wasn't trying for something specific I'd be very happy with it. I need more base in the bottom. I was out running errands today. Couldn't find wire hangers OR thin gear ties anywhere. I'm still going to look for something, but what do you think - is this OK to use for another try?

OMG and that isn't good enough to enter? :confused::confused::confused:
It is superb.
And I thought I was a perfectionist.

I've been trying to mix that dark green but can't.

Last edited:
So I watched the above video and tried the challenge last night and today I watched Petra's video and she does the hanger differently than I thought because you used a square mold. Just wanted to say in case any newbies don't know.

http://youtu.be/4eWFQiOSRkU

Just loved watching this. Even someone that experienced, pauses and makes a decision about what colours to use when right at the last minute. :mrgreen:
I am currently suffering soapers block because I can't choose colours to do this challenge.

Love it, Dibbles! The colors are stellar. What are you using for your dark purple? It's so rich.

If people don't have a wire hanger and want to use something thin, you can break a bamboo skewer to the proper length and then wind a bit of wire around each end to make the handles. I have a couple different gauges of steel wire in the house that I have used to make a swirl tool and it works pretty well. With it, you can use dowels of different diameters or you can string a straw onto a bamboo skewer to get something thicker.

Thanks Newbie. The dark purple is Wisteria purple from Nurture, straight up. Sorry I can't tell you exact amount, but it was pretty concentrated. It's one of my favorites. Good suggestion to use wire with a skewer. I was trying to figure out how to get a skewer to work.

I like how it turned out. I just don't think it was quite right. I really want to learn this one, so I'll try again. The dark green is Khombu green from Nurture.

Oh it's a mica. It is really beautiful.
I am really pleased that you are trying again just for your satisfaction. Can't wait to see the others. You do great stuff with colours. I am very jealous. Thank you so much for sharing. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I made 3 batches yesterday and learned something new with each one.

First batch I used an FO that behaves TOO well. It stayed at thin trace for over 30 min. Because of the trace, the colors mottled together and also didn't quite reach the far side. When I cut this morning it looked like they sank to the bottom in the middle. So I have an interesting blob with wispy hangar lines.

Second batch moved a bit faster so I worked faster and poured thicker lines. This one looks much better because the colors didn't blend together as much. I also learned to mix more batter for each color. Hangar lines still wispy.

Third batch looks the best but still not stellar. I blended lavender and tea tree EO's which I know behaves really well so brought my trace past emulsion. Poured more colored batter with each pass and they finally reached the opposite wall. Yay! :) Sad, wispy hangar lines. Bummed. :cry:

My final conclusion to making this look ALMOST as good as LP or Petra's is to pour more color with each pass at light trace and use a thicker hangar than I've got. I'm going to measure the width and see if I can find (or make) something just a bit bigger. LP talked about this earlier so I'm going to re-read her optimal hangar size and see what I can do.

Latest posts

Back