Anyone experienced with carrot powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunaelurus

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a facial soap with carrot powder, and was wondering if it will add extra heat to my soap. I use a wood mould with plexiglass top and usually cover with a towel. Any experiences would be helpful. I will probably add orange illite clay for color, and an almond fragrance oil. Thanks!

Carrot juice and puree can overheat so I suspect that the powder can too. The two worst overheating batched I've ever had was with carrots so I suggest not trying to gel.

I use carrot powder, puree and juice in one of my bars with no actual problems. But keep in mind I do not gel my soaps, or at least try not to... Carrot powder also has the sugar of carrots so it certainly could overheat especially if you soap warm. I would recommend soaping room temp and putting your mold in the fridge or freezer. I find freezer the best option

Do you think if I put in freezer, I will end up with partial gel? I don't want that either. Do you cover your soap in freezer? I haven't done that before.

I know from repeated experience that when those folks above say freezer to prevent gel, they mean it. I keep putting mine in the fridge and getting partial gel. I have learned my lesson. Just make room in the freezer before you start. You won't regret freezing it.

And yes, I cover mine. I use either a thin piece of cardboard(the stuff that comes off the back of legal pads), or a plastic bag. I tape both down. I do not want soap tasting foods and ice.

Last edited:
If you freeze to prevent gel, you might want to slowly warm it up again - so transfer to the fridge first of all and then on to a cold room and so on - directly from freezer to room temp usually results in condensation forming on the soap. It's not a huge issue, but can affect how it looks.

Also, allow longer before doing your safety test - saponification has been slowed right down by freezing so it will take longer to be fully saponified.

Latest posts

Back