Any Ideas for soap with these oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna75126

Reaction score
I am clearing out my oils because I am taking a break from soapmaking (I have some classes I need to take for work) these are the oils I have
6 oz of Oilve
8 oz of hazelnut
16 oz Fractionated Coconut oil (I have never used this in soaps)
4 oz safflower
5 oz Apricot
9 oz Avocado
9 oz Sunflower
4 oz Virgin Coconut
8 oz Cocoa butter
8 oz Shea Butter

Also what is a good sub for Palm Oil

Thanks for any help
Donna

A good sub for Palm is Tallow or Lard (you'd be able to pick up lard at your grocery store) or Crisco.

I haven't used some of those oils so can't comment but if you have some coconut, butters, and softer oils, I would think as long as they're balanced, you would have a nice batch of soap.

SOmeone with more experience with the oils you list could probably give more specifics. I work mainly with my chosen 5 oils so...

And monkey'ing around with these in SOapCalc or similar could give you an idea of what might work well, always taking SoapCalc with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Donna,

Firstly, how long of a break are you taking? Do you really have to give up soaping all together? Some of these will have a longer shelf life than you might think. You can probably find a friend or co-worker who would enjoy the butters and a couple of the oils are used for massage which means they are great as a non-greasy moisturizer. I like to use sweet almond oil right after I get out of the bath. I just put a bit in my hands, rub them together and quickly rub my body down.

I would put a post on Craigs list or up at the office. Soaping is becoming such a fast growing hobby that someone local might want/need them to start practicing with. They can't be used for sellable soaps since the packages have already been opened but they would be great for someone to practice with.

Fractionated coconut oil is not optimal for soap making.

A combination of avocado and cocoa butter makes a very good substitute for palm oil. As mentioned earlier, lard is the closest single oil substitute for palm.

I messed around in soapcalc a bit to come up with a 2 lb batch but with such a small amount of coconut oil, the cleansing numbers weren't encouraging.

Instead I worked with a 1.5 lb batch and came up with this?

6 oz of Olive
4 oz Virgin Coconut
2 oz Avocado
8 oz Cocoa butter
4 oz Shea Butter

Hardness 47, Cleansing 11, Conditioning 50, not so great on bubbly (11) because of low coconut oil but decent on creamy lather (36)

thank you all for helping me out. I was just kinda concerned that my oils may go bad before I got to use them and I was going to start fresh after I was finished with school. I know the oils cost me a bit of money so I want to use them up.

Donna

Latest posts

Back