Any Assistance Greatly Appreciated - New to soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicLod

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My name is Nicola (58 years old) and I live in a rural town outside Melbourne, Australia.
I have three kids mostly grown up now so time to do fun things like make soap.

On the weekend I made my first batch of liquid soap and it was a bit of a disaster with a white film on top and the soap cloudy.

I have tried adding a 1% lye solution as recommended in Jackie Thompson's book about liquid soapmaking but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

I don't mind milky soap if it's just a cosmetic issue.
I used a pool testing PH kit and it came out as 9 which is apparently ok

The image on the right has the extra 1% lye solution and look like the fats are more integrated or saponified.
The image in the pot is also post the extra lye addition

Any assistance greatly appreciated

The recipe was:

RECIPE
817g coconut oil
204g olive oil

272g Potassium Hydroxide 90%
666g Water

*****I added 51g Sodium Lactate (based on 5% of oil weight) as per another recipe because it's meant to be so good******

The second jar is post the introduction of the new lye but now a few days on they are pretty much the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Welcome.gif

My name is Nicola (58 years old) and I live in a rural town outside Melbourne, Australia.
G'day Nicola! I was 60 when I made my first bar of soap. I've been at it for 20 years and still enjoy it! So you have that to look forward to. 😁

I make a lot of liquid soap but I've never tried Jackie Thompson's method. So I can't help you. Hopefully, someone will come along who knows more about it.

Hi Zany Thanks for responding.

Lovely thought of learning more recipes and of a long-involved relationship with the process. Bit mystified by it ATM but I'm sure that will change with experience. ☺️

Bit mystified by it ATM but I'm sure that will change with experience. ☺️
If it's any consolation, In 2004, I read Catherine Failor's directions through 3 times, even created a "cheat sheet" for myself to follow. I mulled it over for 6 months before giving it a go. I totally failed on my first attempt and swore I'd never make liquid soap again.

It was only a matter of time before I came across directions that made more sense to me. Tried that. It worked! And I've been at it ever since.

So, yes, I'm quite sure you have many successes in your future and some wild adventures as well. Just have fun! :)

If it's any consolation, In 2004, I read Catherine Failor's directions through 3 times, even created a "cheat sheet" for myself to follow. I mulled it over for 6 months before giving it a go. I totally failed on my first attempt and swore I'd never make liquid soap again.

It was only a matter of time before I came across directions that made more sense to me. Tried that. It worked! And I've been at it ever since.

So, yes, I'm quite sure you have many successes in your future and some wild adventures as well. Just have fun! :)
Ha ha yep I've been researching for about the same amount of time if not more.

I purchased all the stuff which has collected dust until I finally took the plunge Saturday.

I have tried to fix the batch but am now lost as to how much lye and salt etc has been added and it's still murky with a white scum on the top.
Giving it another go on the weekend so hoping to see some lovely clear liquid. Making the most simple recipe I can find to give myself the best chance to succeed.

It's all fun thought and so interesting.

Giving it another go on the weekend
I'd advise you to start a thread in the Recipe Feedback forum before you do another batch. Be sure to mention "Jackie Thompson" in the subject box to attract those who are familiar with her process.

Then, run the recipe by the group by posting the printout from the calculator you use to determine the amount of lye needed, as well as the details of your method, SF (Super Fat) and any additives.

My advice: Make a small 500 gram batch with no additives and 0% SF.

Hopefully that will help. :thumbs: :)

I have tried to fix the batch but am now lost as to how much lye and salt etc has been added and it's still murky with a white scum on the top.
I'm at a loss to offer any suggestions as well because I'm not familiar with JT's method. So sorry. 😞

I'd advise you to start a thread in the Recipe Feedback forum before you do another batch. Be sure to mention "Jackie Thompson" in the subject box to attract those who are familiar with her process.

Then, run the recipe by the group by posting the printout from the calculator you use to determine the amount of lye needed, as well as the details of your method, SF (Super Fat) and any additives.

My advice: Make a small 500 gram batch with no additives and 0% SF.

Hopefully that will help. :thumbs: :)
So I ended up cooking it on low for about 10 hours and it's now clear
Great advice re getting advice on the recipe and doing a small batch thanks
I still don't understand Superfat so will do some more reading

Kindly
Nicola :)

Hi everyone

I have three kids mostly grown up now so time to do fun things like make soap.

On the weekend I made my first batch of liquid soap and it was a bit of a disaster with a white film on top and the soap cloudy.

I have tried adding a 1% lye solution as recommended in Jackie Thompson's book about liquid soapmaking but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

I don't mind milky soap if it's just a cosmetic issue.
I used a pool testing PH kit and it came out as 9 which is apparently ok

The image on the right has the extra 1% lye solution and look like the fats are more integrated or saponified.
The image in the pot is also post the extra lye addition

Any assistance greatly appreciated

The recipe was:

RECIPE
817g coconut oil
204g olive oil

272g Potassium Hydroxide 90%
666g Water

*****I added 51g Sodium Lactate (based on 5% of oil weight) as per another recipe because it's meant to be so good******

The second jar is post the introduction of the new lye but now a few days on they are pretty much the same.
Welcome to the forum. I don't have experience at all with liquid soap, so I hope you can get this liquid soap thing down, I'm curious to see what you come up with. Have a great day! =)

There's nothing wrong with opaque LS. I have formulas that are transparent and some that are opaque. I'm more concerned with quality not clarity. I just posted photos in the gallery of two formulas that are both excellent quality and one is opaque and the other is a clear honey color.

I use many additives that can turn clear LS to opaque & pearlized, But anesthetics mean nothing without quality. I've never had your issue and I have no experience with that soaper/author you referenced. But, I'll be around to help wherever I can. My first LS formula was VERY pretty and it was actually a shower gel that I learned to make online. If you'd like the formula, I can check my notes and send it to you.
Hope you have many Gallons of clear soap of excellent quality in your future. 😁👍🏻

Hi thank you so much for your response.
I would love your shower gel recipe
Mine ended up honey-colored and quite beautiful. Lovely to use but very watery.
I put lots of salt in but didn't change viscosity
Loved the process.
Excited to try new recipes'
Kindly
Nicola

Loved the process.
Kindly
Nicola
Different oils and superfat will produce different results in color and clarity. The formula I used to make clear
Perhaps too much water in the dilution process. Again, not familiar with that method. The aforementioned shower gel formula is from an old website (about.com). I learned to make LS with that formula. Also, your soap color will be influenced by the oils you use. If using evoo your soap will have a greenish tint. There are oils I use in bar & LS just for their natural color.
I will send the formula as soon asap.

Loved the process.
Kindly
Nicola
Salt for thickening LS will only work in formulas that are 50% or higher in Oleic Acid. Otherwise, you need another type of thickener such as a cellulose or gum-based thickener.

Ok thanks interesting it didn't last
I have a recipe i want to try that has it in so will get some and give it a try
Thanks for the link ill have a look

Latest posts

Back