Neutralising a liquid soap - citric acid produces egg white like streaks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adwelly

Reaction score
I’m on my second attempt to make a liquid soap following a 50% olive oil, 50% coconut recipe in Liquid Soapmaking by Jackie Thompson. I’ve managed all the steps to the point of dilution and get a thin but crystal clear soap. But when I add even the smallest amount of citric acid ( 20% solution) to remove excess lye I get streaks of white gel in the mix. It looks exactly like cooked egg white.

What could be causing this? The coconut is new this time round so I’m left with the citric acid or olive oil (a cheap brand from Lidl). Has anyone seen this before?

Andy

Well it’s a cheap brand, but the rules about labelling are pretty strict on this side of the pond. It might not be the very best grade of olive oil, but it is almost certainly olive oil without any other oils.

Yes, that’s right. It was 28g citric acid in 113g distilled water although only a few drops were added.

My best guess would be that it's "breaking" the soap back into some free fatty acids. Do those streaks eventually migrate up to form a top layer? If so, it has been over-neutralized.

This is one reason I don't like using Jackie's method. I'd rather make a 1% SF recipe and not worry about neutralization.

I left them and yes they did float to the top. Aha - light dawns. Broken soap. That could very well be it.

I’m just beginning this journey and I’m very much interested in producing something that’s clear and with reasonable keeping qualities but also safe. In your opinion, is 1% SF going to look reasonable and resist separating?

is 1% SF going to look reasonable and resist separating?
1-3% SF is reasonable for not having to neutralize. However, if you want crystal clear LS, it's best to soap at 0% SF. Unsaponified oils can cloud your soap.

when I add even the smallest amount of citric acid ( 20% solution) to remove excess lye I get streaks of white gel in the mix. It looks exactly like cooked egg white.
I have no experience with Jackie Thompson's method. I assume your following her directions for adding citric acid? It doesn't take much.

EXAMPLE 60 oz LS X 0.1% (0.001) = 0.06 oz. / 1.7 grams / 1/3 teaspoon

After dilution, check pH, then add 0.1% (one tenth of one percent) citric acid (20% solution), 1/3 teaspoon at a time, and check pH again. Take care. Too much CA can break the emulsion. pH 11-9 is fine. Wait 24 hours before adding more if needed.

NOTE: Adding citric acid is tricky. For me, it tends to flake out when added. If that happens, I warm the batch to 140°F and stir gently to fully incorporate.

HTH
:computerbath:

Latest posts

Back