AC just won't give me the black I want!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaFalana

Reaction score
How are people getting their soaps black with activated charcoal? I often use it to darken the color of clays when I don't want do such a bright color. But I can't get above a dingy gray with activated charcoal as my only color. I've made a batch 2 days ago and I fear I used way too much out of frustration. 2 tsp in a 8 ounce batch.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance:D

Could it be the AC that you are using I wonder? The black stripe on the bottom here is pretty black - since its a gradient I cant give the exact amount, but it was a total of 0.75 teaspoon in 2/3 of a 5 lb batch (56 oz oils total). I dispersed the AC with 1 oz of olive oil before mixing it into the batter.

attachment.php

The black bottom layer of the one in front was 1 tablespoon in over a half pound of soap batter (17 oz oils) and was a bit much, it does darken a washcloth, but nobody cares because its quite a nice soap.

attachment.php

It does seem a bit grey before it cures to black - maybe yours just needs more time?

I too use AC to color my soaps and I get a pretty black. Can't post a photo as I'm at work. It does take a bit and does look dark grey but darkens after I gel it.

That is a LOT of AC, you should have dark soap. Where did you get it? Did you use any clay or other additives? When I add bentonite clay to charcoal soap, the color is not quite as deep until it cures, but it is still very dark.

I only use AC for black and get a nice shiny black. I do not measure it, but use it until I get the color I want. Approx 1tbs in 12 oz or so of batter. If I am making full charcoal bars with my 5lb batches I use 3-4 tbs depending on the depth of color I want

If you're looking for a dark black, maybe try some black oxide powder? A little bit goes a long way, and produces a nice, even black. The first time I used it I waaaaay over colored and ended up with grey bubbles.

If you're looking for a dark black, maybe try some black oxide powder? A little bit goes a long way, and produces a nice, even black. The first time I used it I waaaaay over colored and ended up with grey bubbles.
Black oxide in my opinion is much messier to work with and you do not get any of the benefits of the charcoal. I use AC for all my black in soaps and it is pretty resonable on Amazon. I buy a pound of hardwood ac for around $15

That is a LOT of AC, you should have dark soap. Where did you get it? Did you use any clay or other additives? When I add bentonite clay to charcoal soap, the color is not quite as deep until it cures, but it is still very dark.

Yes it was a lot. It was completely my fault... never soap in a bad mood! I didn't use any additive besides the AC. When I used it before in a swirl it was a beautiful deep color, but with my salt bars it was just that dingy gray. I'm going to attempt it again today, in my right mind of course. But I thought I'd be smart and ask you experts first.

I would try that but I have a pound of AC and I really like what it does for soap.

I am still going use the soaps made as it's for personal use. I made little heart embeds that I'm hoping will come out as cute as it does in my mind. Fingers crossed. Thank you everyone. You guys are really awesome.

It will work in salt bars. My black and white salt bars turn out great using charcoal. I add in the AC until it is a shiny black. I love AC and use lots of it. Which is why I buy 5lbs at a time :-D

Do your soaps bleed? I'm mainly excited by your response. Just keep going til you get what you want :D I'm going to get to it this weekend. Pics to come people.

Okay here are my pics. The deep charcoal color I got is really good enough for me. I really wanted a deep black for these heart embeds but i am happy with this.
The color bleeds but not enough to stain. I'm not positive but I believe AC washes right out of white towels. I know the AC in my salt bars washed off the towels with a quick scrub of the hand.

1422664795637.jpg

1422664814311.jpg

Okay here are my pics. The deep charcoal color I got is really good enough for me. I really wanted a deep black for these heart embeds but i am happy with this.
The color bleeds but not enough to stain. I'm not positive but I believe AC washes right out of white towels. I know the AC in my salt bars washed off the towels with a quick scrub of the hand.

Your one black-hearted soaper...

Maybe you can try a liquid black and mix it with your current black, test batch it first to see how it goes...

Do your soaps bleed? I'm mainly excited by your response. Just keep going til you get what you want :D I'm going to get to it this weekend. Pics to come people.
If you are referring to gray bubbles yes and if the bar sits in any kind of water it will drip black. If you are referring to the color bleeding in the soap and migrating no it does not

Maybe you can try a liquid black and mix it with your current black, test batch it first to see how it goes...

If it gives me a shiny black I may be interested. I use clays and other natural powders mainly to color so the AC matches the muted colors I use.
Just need to figure out how to get rid of the speckles that come with using powders.

If you are referring to gray bubbles yes and if the bar sits in any kind of water it will drip black. If you are referring to the color bleeding in the soap and migrating no it does not

Yes I meant bleeding. From what I'm seeing AC bleeds regardless.

Latest posts

Back