A Soapy Success Story...with Pics!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I would have bought a bar in every scent! I love that you only use EOs! I love all natural products! In regards to the vegans who use beeswax or goat milk...well they are probably more or concerned about the treatment of animals than anything else. Or they were shopping locally for holiday gifts? Either way congrats on your success!

I'm an all EO soaper as well! I do everything I can to stay away from synthetics including coloring material. Where did you get the wooden dishes (they look wooden) that you display your soaps in? There was a definitive consistency to your theme with all your soaps being displayed like that. I use a variety of objects to display my soaps but have wondered if my tables are maybe too busy.

Where did you get the wooden dishes (they look wooden) that you display your soaps in? There was a definitive consistency to your theme with all your soaps being displayed like that. I use a variety of objects to display my soaps but have wondered if my tables are maybe too busy.

I bought them at Michael's craft store...they are actually candle trays! They were originally $9.99, but I used 50% coupons for every one of them...which was a huge pain, but totally worth it. I actually found a few of them on clearance for $3! I also scavenge Goodwill and other thrift stores for wooden display pieces.

Beautiful display and presentation. Love your soaps, so impressive. I would have bought at least one of each too!

Wow, I dont even know what to say! Im speachless! Thank you so much for sharing such valuable information! It's so inspiring to know what sells for someone and I plan on making a lemongrass soap now too! Your display looks so professional even down to the font used on all your labeling. And i must say I LOVE your business name, so clever! :-D One day if I can get saturdays off and accumulate enough product, I could only hope to have a farmers market stand as awesome as yours! Thanks again for all the tips, I am going to take your suggestions and make up some batches that have been good sellers for you, congrats Rockstar!

Gorgeous!! Is that a hanger swirl I see in the lavender/white soap in the back?

I usually use a spoon and chopstick...I call this method "The Spoonstick Swirl" :lol: Just kidding!
I don't take a whole lot of time with "techniques" for swirls and such...I like my soap to look a little more rustic or "organic". Though I do covet some of the awesome artwork people create with their peacock swirls and such!

Wow Shawnee! Your booth is absolutely gorgeous and so inviting. I would definitely stop by and make a purchase if I was there. Thanks so much for sharing all your info and experience. Congrats on your success! :grin:

OK....so WOW! I totally want to shop at your set up and smell all of your lovely soaps right now!!!! Perfect set up and lots of information already laid out on the table for the customers to see. I am new to CP soap making and I must say that the first thing that I do when I walk into a soap store is sniff sniff sniff!!!! If it smells nasty to my receptive sensors then down it goes. If it makes my receptive sensors do a happy dance then into my basket it goes! You did a great job and thanks for the wonderful advice! Maybe in a year or so, I will be tried tested and good enough to play in farmers markets and craft shows!!!! :)

Awesome setup. Very professional!

I'm not surprised people didn't ask about Palm or other sustainability stuff. Personal opinion here, but I think while people claim to care about the environment, very few go out of their way to make sure what they are doing is in fact environmentally friendly. Quite honestly, before I started looking into soap making, I had no clue palm oil was a sustainability issue. I think something like homemade soap doesn't even register on the radar of most people when it comes to sustainability.

Just saw this post and of course, I love your set-up! Very inspiring. I am nowhere near ready to do a show, but your pics have definitely given me some ideas for the future!

Wow, I just saw this and I am really impressed with your display! I have had some thoughts about maybe selling eventually, but the idea of having to get insurance to sell is rough for me. I am not sure I could scrape together the money to get the insurance. I was thinking about looking into it a bit more and finding out what I would need, but first I need to actually make some soap! lol

That is such a beautiful display! I would definitely think those bars were worth $10 each, especially due to their size and pretty packaging. Raise your prices :)

Wonderful setup. I have a few questions, about your soap.

I see your soap has a very pagan element, which (or witch haha) is very cool. After looking on Etsy, I don't see you attributing any magical elements to the soaps. I'm curious if you ever considered changing your business to include Hoodoo folk magic elements to the soap? I see you have very "spiritual names" and the ingredients do include essential oils. What if you were to go further and make "magical" blends with intention?

For example: Van-van.
This oil is designed to clear away evil, provide magical protection, open the road to new prospects, change bad luck to good, etc. It is mostly Lemongrass but some people use it in conjunction with lemon verbena, citronella, ginger grass or palmarosa. I know that scent is very important but just a friendly thought from what I perceive as a capitalizable opportunity!

Also, do you use Keystone pricing?

I have to admit. I saw this thread when I first joined and I was super jealous. Thinking to myself "Dammit, that is what I was thinking my vendor stall would look like." But now I realize that I can have a vendor table that looks like that and not be exclusively like yours. I have grown LOL

Wonderful setup. I have a few questions, about your soap.

I see your soap has a very pagan element, which (or witch haha) is very cool. After looking on Etsy, I don't see you attributing any magical elements to the soaps. I'm curious if you ever considered changing your business to include Hoodoo folk magic elements to the soap? I see you have very "spiritual names" and the ingredients do include essential oils. What if you were to go further and make "magical" blends with intention?

For example: Van-van.
This oil is designed to clear away evil, provide magical protection, open the road to new prospects, change bad luck to good, etc. It is mostly Lemongrass but some people use it in conjunction with lemon verbena, citronella, ginger grass or palmarosa. I know that scent is very important but just a friendly thought from what I perceive as a capitalizable opportunity!

Also, do you use Keystone pricing?

Ever see Practical Magic?
I'm Sally. (Sandra Bullock)
Well, not exactly, but you get the idea...

While my personal beliefs are of the Pagan persuasion, I try to market my soaps to the masses, so to speak. Many folks don't pick up on the (not-always-so-subtle) innuendo...so for them, my soaps are just soaps that smell good with fantastical names. For those "in the know", they may find intention with my essential oil blends or names.

I don't want to exclude (read: "scare off") anyone from buying my product, but I'm also not hiding some of my creative force behind them. I have had a few crooked eyebrows and whispers behind hands...and one women say that her mother would love my French Quarter Voodoo soap, but would never use it because of the Voodoo reference...and then apologized profusely thinking she insulted me. She didn't. I don't care what you believe, don't believe, practice, don't practice... I don't sacrifice children to the soap Gods. My soaps aren't imbued with eye of newt or toe of frog (or any other animal product, for that matter). You won't be unknowingly participating in some arcane ritual just by using my soap (unless you want to!). I just make great soap, and I just want you to try it. I promise not to curse you if you don't.
(Or will I? :twisted: Just kidding!)

But,to answer your question, yes...I have considered a line of ritual and elemental soaps created with intention. I have some specific ideas written down with corresponding essential oil blends. I love folk magic of all kinds, and definitely see a market for ritual cleansing soaps. I would need to do a bit more study for Hoodoo specific correspondences, but I'm certainly open to that.

As for Keystone pricing...right now I only do a 30% discount for wholesale because my pricing is low as it is...and of course, I'm a one-woman show and it's handmade, so if I want to make any kind of profit, I just can't go too far below that. So for a 6.5 oz/1.5" thick/$6.50 bar (my Etsy price), it would be $4.55 (for a large volume order, I would consider a steeper discount). I just did a bridal shower favor order where I cut the soaps in half (3/4" thick) for $2.50 each (basically $5 a bar instead of $6.50)...not really "wholesale", but a volume discount.

Thank you for the kind words and thoughtful advice!

I have to admit. I saw this thread when I first joined and I was super jealous. Thinking to myself "Dammit, that is what I was thinking my vendor stall would look like." But now I realize that I can have a vendor table that looks like that and not be exclusively like yours. I have grown LOL
Our little Moonshea is all grown up! :clap:
:lol:
Your vendor booth and marketing style will be exclusive to you, even if you use some of the same elements as I do ;)
I'm not the first person with the idea of a "natural" theme, or covering tables in burlap...but mine will always be different, because the creative eye is specific to each individual - we could use the exact same materials, and have 2 totally different booths because our creative eye sees things just a bit differently than anyone else, if that makes any sense. ...or so I've come to realize from observing other creative artists.

Ever see Practical Magic?
I'm Sally. (Sandra Bullock)
Well, not exactly, but you get the idea... :lol:

While my personal beliefs are of the Pagan persuasion, I try to market my soaps to the masses, so to speak. Many folks don't pick up on the (not-always-so-subtle) innuendo...so for them, my soaps are just soaps that smell good with fantastical names. For those "in the know", they may find intention with my essential oil blends or names.

I don't want to exclude (read: "scare off") anyone from buying my product, but I'm also not hiding some of my creative force behind them. I have had a few crooked eyebrows and whispers behind hands...and one women say that her mother would love my French Quarter Voodoo soap, but would never use it because of the Voodoo reference...and then apologized profusely thinking she insulted me. She didn't. I don't care what you believe, don't believe, practice, don't practice... I don't sacrifice children to the soap Gods. My soaps aren't imbued with eye of newt or toe of frog (or any other animal product, for that matter). You won't be unknowingly participating in some arcane ritual just by using my soap (unless you want to!). I just make great soap, and I just want you to try it. I promise not to curse you if you don't. :razz:
(Or will I? :twisted: Just kidding!)

But ...but I'm Sally! *pout*

Latest posts

Back