A bad soaping day indeed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKristen

Reaction score
So yesterday I made 2 2lb batches of soap...Sigh

The one I made in the morning was a orange, cinnamon, clove EO blend...as soon as I turned my stick blender on it siezed, worse than I have ever seen before, I truly couldn't even glop it in the mold, I had one big bowl shaped soap!

So trying not to get discouraged I decided to make a chocolate cherry soap in the evening, I scented half with chocolate and also used cocoa powder and the other half with a new cherry FO that I haven't used before...the chocolate part came out great, but oh my RICING, the cherry portion immediately and horribly riced on me (I had never run into ricing before so at least now I can check another soap oops! off my list).

I am hoping the soaping gods are smiling down on me today :)

i think we all have bad days sometimes. Some of us more than others(myself) if you dont mind, where is your cherry FO from? Ive been looking at them online...

I actually got the cherry from my local farmers market...probably my first mistake, I made sure it was body safe but without any reviews I definitely was blind on how it behaved.

sorry you had a bad day, I know how that feels....clove and cinnamon will speed up trace, and can cause overheating and it can happen fast. I have one EO blend that uses a small amount of clove and that recipe has to go in the freezer for 30 mins to prevent overheating

Aw, that is too bad. They both sound awesome! Hope today is better. I plan to make cucumber yogurt soap today myself. Sending good vibes your way!

If this ever happens again, let your seized soap alone for a bit and let it gel in the pot. Then you can glop it into the mold.

Hope your next batch is smooth sailing!

Judy, that is a great tip! I will certainly remember that next time,and I am sure there will be a next time. It is now all sitting in my rebatch pile.

We all have bad soapin days - now we know where the soap gremlins are :cry: .

When I have a soap seize I put it into my crockpot add some more water and then HP it. As already mentioned spice EO's can cause seizing and keep in mind they are also skin irritants....

Good luck with your next batch...

I'm so sorry, I think I would just be sick. I can only handle one soaping disaster in a day, if that. At least you know you can trust the chocolate scent.

That did make me smile as well Dennis! Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!

If anyone is wondering where the soap gremlins are, I found them! They're here, in Hamtramck MI! I tried 2 new FOs today. The 1st one, a rosemary mint soap with cream, soaped beautifully. But my boyfriend kept calling & my puppy kept whimpering at the door but she didn't want to go out! One of my sons had a half day of school so I told him to walk the dog but he forgot how to put her harness on & kept asking me a million questions! It wasn't until I had completed my first attempt at making an ombre soap that I realized that with all of the distractions, I forgot to add the cream! Since the soap would be lye heavy without it, I had to dump my 4 layer soap back into the pot & stick blend the cream in! My 2nd batch was a beer soap, again I used a new FO. I always read reviews before I buy new scents & I never buy scents that are known to seize or rice. This batch seized so fast I had to dig my stick blender out of it! Then while I'm trying to HP it, my puppy throws up all over my kitchen floor! I don't think my son realized that she had just eaten before he started chasing her & picking her up. I wanted to make 3 batches today, but I think I'm going to stop & wait until the soap gremlins leave to go visit somebody else! Lol

Back