What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooh - how about to New Zealand? ;)

now now Kiwi she was talking to me!!!! I would really love to have one though--what do you charge and what was the scent again? think I could pass it off as my own hahahahaha (naw I wouldn't but I doubt it)

I just got done with a pickle strainer swirl--I didn't use a pickle strainer but trimmed up and made the cut outs bigger on a plastic sink strainer!!! oh wish me luck on it. I stopped at emulsion and mixed the colors and scent. things were fine until about 1/2 way. I think I am just way to slow for that kinda pour. things thickened up!! I slow down cuz I am so worried about getting the right amount of each color at the right time. I am going to try and find micas that don't have TD in them--it seems like most of mine do--I don't know. I started out using the funnel but had to quit cuz it wouldn't go down the hole at the end hahaha. note to self when doing this make sure the string is long cuz it gets real slippery and is hard to pull up--it needs to be long enough to give a wrap around the finger. well anyway I will post pics tomorrow even if its a disaster

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh - how about to New Zealand? ;)
Kiwi, I think the shipping would be way more than the soap was worth, lol!

now now Kiwi she was talking to me!!!! I would really love to have one though--what do you charge and what was the scent again? think I could pass it off as my own hahahahaha (naw I wouldn't but I doubt it)

Marilyn, the scent is Bonsai, it is very nice! If you give me your address I will put one in the mail :) (I may throw in a peppermint eucalyptus salt bar too!)

I made soap! Purple mica - first time using it. I had read it goes grey/brown, but didn't believe the extent of it until I saw it with my own eyes.
IMG_0908.jpeg

Tested two soaps.

Soaped my hands with a beer ball - beer soap scrapings off my pot - and the lather was awesome at just 2wks. Rich, thick, creamy lather.. Can't wait to start using them after 6 more.

Took a small piece of a soap with forgotten superfat to shower with and at about 4wks I'm quite glad it isn't very drying at all. I'll let it be for another 4 and I'm sure it'll be even better. So happy!

Did a bunch of soap dishes and set up for two batches, including masterbatching 2kg of lye solution. Soaped the first one without really waiting for the lye solution to cool, which was a huge mistake. I used Salty Sea Air from Elements B&B and while blending in the mica (dispersed in oil) it started setting up really fast and I had to whack it in the mold. Luckily, I had wanted a pretty simple design of a couple mica lines amongst uneven layers of soap batter, so it definitely still worked with my design. I'm insulating that loaf while I wait for my lye water to cool...my second design won't work QUITE as well with lumpy batter, I'm afraid XD

1. Added a soap page to my blog..nothing really there yet, but the shell looks good.
2. Made my 1st batch of soap with coconut milk...sped up trace quite a bit. Soap is predominantly white with planned swirls of burnt orange and navy blue. I have no idea how it will cut. I need some of Kiwi’s “disaster luck” on this one. It’s cool here today and going into the mid 30’s tonight, so I just left it outside to hopefully prevent over-heating.

Attachments

• E11C64A4-E561-41B6-BB81-FCE5E50C8FC7.jpeg
    E11C64A4-E561-41B6-BB81-FCE5E50C8FC7.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I searched for some partially cleaned wool roving my SIL gave me, only to come across the clean roving I have, but couldn't find any of the wool that needs cleaning. I am beginning to think I decided not to pack unclean wool in my luggage when I was returning home from California last November. I wanted to work on a soap felting project, but when I realized my mind isn't even in this particular month (another story) I decided I may be better off waiting until I recover from the cold a bit more than I have so far.

Just in case, though I did bring down some of my felting supplies so I can get started if I start feeling clearer headed.

1. Added a soap page to my blog..nothing really there yet, but the shell looks good.
2. Made my 1st batch of soap with coconut milk...sped up trace quite a bit. Soap is predominantly white with planned swirls of burnt orange and navy blue. I have no idea how it will cut. I need some of Kiwi’s “disaster luck” on this one. It’s cool here today and going into the mid 30’s tonight, so I just left it outside to hopefully prevent over-heating.
I’m beginning to think coconut milk can be a bit of a problem - as in it seems to always precede a disaster or close call. Hearing you say it speeds trace just confirms that.

Gearing up for HP Castile! I'm gonna use a loaf this time, I wanna experience slicing through Castile and to note how long it takes to harden compared to the CP. Exact same recipe (more or less).

I finally got to unmold and cut my 'Karma Chameleon' soap ( a copy of Lush's Karma). The smell is not bad - had to try and duplicate it as best I could from their ingredients list, without knowing the ratios. I think there's a bit too much lavender in my batch - I only used a little bit but it seems to be quite predominant. But a very good attempt none-the-less. It was in the mold for over two days! Testing my patience it was. Still a little soft for unmolding - it could have done with a couple more days I think. I'm not sure that it gelled so maybe that's why.
IMG_0911.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg

I became a soap maker again this week after more than a year of a forced hiatus!

All new recipes. I can't tell you how good it feels to be human again!!20190329_143643.jpg 20190329_154132.jpg 20190329_154749.jpg (Yes, this means the renovation is almost over) I would insert every crazy celebratory emoji here, but I'm on my phone and its midnight. So how about pics instead??

Latest posts

Back