de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, I'm still deodorant free. I've been using the babassu and neem oil combo since I made it and I've gotten used to the neem smell. I'm also pretty convinced that the neem combo might be the key for me. The only problem I have is the application. I don't like using my fingers with the neem oil because it seems to stick even with a few washings (although, honestly, I'' probably smelling the residual odor from my pits and not my hands) and the neem makes the babassu feel greasier to me. I'm going to add a bit of DE or rice flour to it the next time to see if that works.

Both neem and babassu are solid oils - what about a roll up tube, or possibly a roller ball?

Now my next question is where do you get the magnesium hydroxide?

Ditto what BeesKnees said - at Amazon. Just use the link she posted. :)

Both neem and babassu are solid oils - what about a roll up tube, or possibly a roller ball?

A roll-up tube may prove to be problematic with babassu if it's kept at room temp, at least where I live anyway. My babassu oil is 100% totally liquid when kept at our usual room temp of 78F, but completely solid when kept in the fridge.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:

It's hotter than Hades in my house during the summer and the tube isn't a good idea. I did use it for awhile, the problem is when I use the stick, I end up putting on too much and have greasy pits. It's easier to apply with my fingers. And then I'm back to the smell. It's ok. I guess it's better to smell like neem than funk, right? Although, some people think that neem is funk. :)

I've been using the straight MOM for a coupple-thre months now and. I'm totally happy with it.

I put some in a small hotel shampoo bottle and just a little squirt is all I need TG o last .e all day most days. For those rare occasions when I felt I needed re-application, I have one such bottle in a plastic baggy in my purse.

At first I did not like the finger application method, but have necome used to it and learned to accept it. Avoiding a little spillage now and then is hard, but not a big deal.

Defunk the pits

::raising hand:: Ooo, ooo, I know an answer!!! I can contribute!! :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUOWEL8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

When she recommended it I went straight to my amazon cart to add it. Being a newbie to soapmaking I have zip to contribute to soapmaking discussions so it's nice to be able to answer your question, at least!

LMBO so cute! I too am new and thanks for this cause I have been going crazy trying to find this stuff. I want to try the babassu oil, arrowroot and magnesium deodorant. I have been using baking soda for the past two years and it still burns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the straight MOM for a coupple-thre months now and. I'm totally happy with it.

I put some in a small hotel shampoo bottle and just a little squirt is all I need TG o last .e all day most days. For those rare occasions when I felt I needed re-application, I have one such bottle in a plastic baggy in my purse.

At first I did not like the finger application method, but have necome used to it and learned to accept it. Avoiding a little spillage now and then is hard, but not a big deal.

I use a sprayer for my MOM then rub it in, one of the 6oz ones from Walmart. Every once in a while I need to rinse the tip but it seems to work.

Earlene, I can understand the issue with the finger application method. An added benefit is that, for those of us who might not otherwise get around to our monthly BSEs, this can at least help us get familiar with what our underarms feel like underneath so we hopefully we would notice sooner if there were a lump. Early detection is critical.

Earlene, I can understand the issue with the finger application method. An added benefit is that, for those of us who might not otherwise get around to our monthly BSEs, this can at least help us get familiar with what our underarms feel like underneath so we hopefully we would notice sooner if there were a lump. Early detection is critical.

Very good point BeesKnees! I never thought of that. I just apply with fingers because like everyone else when it gets hot it gets liquid. Just an FYI to all i have taken my deodorant camping and kept the jar in our cooler.

I have ordered my magnesium powder and can hardly wait til it gets here to mix up my deodorant

I am interested in trying the magnesium hydroxide and babassu oil combination but the cost of the one that Amazon sells (here in the UK) is prohibitive. I have found some tablets that I thought I could crush. However, they are marked as magnesium oxide (not hydroxide). Is it the same stuff? Would it work in the same way? Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I6M1LS4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use Epsom salts. It isn't as pure as most other forms of magnesium, but it easy to find to start figuring out your formula

I am interested in trying the magnesium hydroxide and babassu oil combination but the cost of the one that Amazon sells (here in the UK) is prohibitive. I have found some tablets that I thought I could crush. However, they are marked as magnesium oxide (not hydroxide). Is it the same stuff? Would it work in the same way? Here is the link:

Hi i had to order on amazon as well and a bag of the powder was priced at 14.00 but when all was said and done it will end up costing me 30.00 and im not sure if i will have to pay duty as it is coming from the states and i am canadian but if this works better than baking soda it will be well worth the price. A small jar of my homemade deodorant lasts a long time compared to store bought, and i made some for my friend and it has lasted her almost a year!

How big is the bag you bought? I bought the 1 kg bag myself, and at the rate I'm using it, it should last me for a looooooong, looooooong time. I'm thinking way more than a year or 2, at the very, very least!

Defunk the pits

How big is the bag you bought? I bought the 1 kg bag myself, and at the rate I'm using it, it should last me for a looooooong, looooooong time. I'm thinking way more than a year or 2, at the very, very least!

The bag was 250 gm. I bought the small one cause I'm not sure if it will work. You have said it works so I sure hope it does. I have been using the baking soda recipe for two years now and it still burns but I'm determined not to do store bought ever again. I love the idea that babassu does not stain because my daughter stopped using it for that very reason. She plays soccer and it worked because she did not smell. My fingers are crossed IrishLass that babassu, arrowroot and magnesium works!

Just an FYI here...if I had ordered the powder and shipped it to the border and picked it up myself it wouldn't have cost so much. It is Canadian shipping that sucks, and like I said I still don't know if I will have to pay duty.

Have you looked into having some from the USA shipping it to you , does anyone on eBay sell it?

Have you looked into having some from the USA shipping it to you , does anyone on eBay sell it?

Hmmm that would be a very good thought, but i can get stuff shipped free to a post box at the border and i would just pick it up which saves me bothering anyone...i just didnt feel like drving to border for one little package. I would do it for a big order though

Defunk the pits

I was able to find this out for myself just these past few days with the magnesium hydroxide powder that I bought off of Amazon last week. Magnesium hydroxide is the same type of magnesium used in Milk of Magnesia (MOM). I added a smidge to my tiny little jar of babassu oil that I keep filled up in the bathroom to aid in deodorizing my pits, and it has been working wonders so far. :thumbup:

Just to remind you of my experiences with the babassu that I wrote about in my earlier posts in this thread: I've normally been applying the babassu to my underarms after showering and right before applying my store-bought natural deodorant, and it's been keeping me smelling pretty all day with just one application of the deodorant (instead of needing 2 or three applications of the deodorant throughout the day without the babassu).

Well, to continue, as an experiment for the past few days, I've been applying just the babassu oil/magnesium hydroxide mixture alone to my pits after showering (i.e., without applying any of my store-bought 'natural' deodorant afterwards), and it has been keeping my pits smelling fresh and lovely all day and throughout night with just that one, single application after showering earlier in the day.

In case anyone is wondering, the powered magnesium hydroxide I bought is very fine, and thus far has not been irritating to my pits at all. This is the brand I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUOWEL8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 You can also make your own Milk of Magnesia with it for indigestion.

Ok so im ready to make my deodorant. Now i never used to melt down my coconut oil i used to just mash it up with the baking soda. In your opinion should i melt down the babassu oil first then add magnesium? Also i see you are just using babassu and magnesium without the arrowroot. Is this still working for you? Thanks

Ok so im ready to make my deodorant. Now i never used to melt down my coconut oil i used to just mash it up with the baking soda. In your opinion should i melt down the babassu oil first then add magnesium?

Hi Gaisy! Due to the warm climate in which I live, my babassu is 100% liquid if kept at room temp, although having just said that, we recently had a cold spell set in this past week and the little set-aside portion of babassu that I have at room temperature has firmed to a soft, slushy consistency. In my opinion, if your babassu is soft enough to mash, I wouldn't melt it. I would just mash/stir up the magnesium powder with the soft/slushy babassu and call it done. Actually, that's just what I did this morning (I needed to replenish my little jar of homemade deodorant), and it worked perfectly fine. :thumbup:

Also i see you are just using babassu and magnesium without the arrowroot. Is this still working for you? Thanks

Yes- it's totally working for me with just the babassu and magnesium. It's truly amazing how well this stuff works. For what its worth, I've never added arrowroot to mine, and since it's working so well without it, I personally don't see the need for it.

The babassu/magnesium hydroxide mixture sinks right into my skin and does not cause any oil slicks or stains on any of my shirts/blouses at all. And it goes on smooth without any friction/scratchiness- even when I've increased the magnesium to babassu ratio to see what it feels like with a paste-like consistency (several folks who wrote reviews on Amazon underneath the Magnesium Hydroxide product were making their homemade deodorants with it into a paste, so I thought I'd try it out). To tell you the truth, the mixture actually feels quite smooth and soothing to my skin...... the total opposite of how baking soda feels to my skin. I really think you're going to love it.

Hi Gaisy! Due to the warm climate in which I live, my babassu is 100% liquid if kept at room temp, although having just said that, we recently had a cold spell set in this past week and the little set-aside portion of babassu that I have at room temperature has firmed to a soft, slushy consistency. In my opinion, if your babassu is soft enough to mash, I wouldn't melt it. I would just mash/stir up the magnesium powder with the soft/slushy babassu and call it done. Actually, that's just what I did this morning (I needed to replenish my little jar of homemade deodorant), and it worked perfectly fine. :thumbup:

Yes- it's totally working for me with just the babassu and magnesium. It's truly amazing how well this stuff works. For what its worth, I've never added arrowroot to mine, and since it's working so well without it, I personally don't see the need for it.

The babassu/magnesium hydroxide mixture sinks right into my skin and does not cause any oil slicks or stains on any of my shirts/blouses at all. And it goes on smooth without any friction/scratchiness- even when I've increased the magnesium to babassu ratio to see what it feels like with a paste-like consistency (several folks who wrote reviews on Amazon underneath the Magnesium Hydroxide product were making their homemade deodorants with it into a paste, so I thought I'd try it out). To tell you the truth, the mixture actually feels quite smooth and soothing to my skin...... the total opposite of how baking soda feels to my skin. I really think you're going to love it.

This is great and amazing! I will be sooo glad to get rid of the baking soda and its down to only 2 products. I hope Teresa sees this post...she started something wonderful!

The problem with that is that we have to pay import duties from the USA and these are quite high, too. Plus we also have to pay Royal Mail £8 just for opening and re-closing the parcel!

I am still using only Milk of Magnesia, but last week I needed to replenish my little bottle, which was a small hotel shampoo bottle (about 0,75 ounce size.)

Since I was home again, it occurred to me a somewhat larger bottle might be nice so I wouldn't have to refill it every week. :) Well, being the saver that I am, I tend to save empty FO bottles, so bingo, I used an FO bottle of a scent I really liked in a recent soap.

Now I have Teakwood Cardamon scented deodorant! Well, not actually. I think the scent lasted about a day inside the bottle and at first I could smell it on me, maybe the first day, but less the second day. Now I cannot smell it at all. But the MOM is green. So now I have unscented green deodorant.

Either way it still works very well. It does make me wonder once again about adding fragrance to deodorant. When I first started using an artisan deodorant stick last April I loved the strong lemongrass scent, but hated the fact that it stained my clothing, so stopped using it. Then a couple of months ago I decided to use it one day just for the lemongrass scent since I was going to be doing some heavy work in old clothes I didn't care about, and lo and behold the lemongrass fragrance was no longer strong. That made me wonder if adding fragrance to deodorant is actually worth the expense.

Latest posts

Back