What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the red oxide I have is pretty strong as well. Mine is from BB called Brick Red Oxide and makes a very dark red. But as you mention, the darker the soap, the darker the bubbles/lather. So far I have not used a mica that discolors like that, but that's not saying it doesn't happen.

I will not know if the black color will show up in the shower bubbles until I use it in a few weeks, but I will let you know. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but generally are micas best to use with dark colors? When are oxides used or are they basically similar?

My drop pattern is pathetic but it's smell good. The thing I notice is a bit greasy mostly the top. Might be because of full coconut milk.

My recipe:
540g coconut oil
60 g castor oil

210g homemade coconut milk
95.7 g sodium hydroxide
10g fragrance
12% superfat ImageUploadedBySoap Making1503338420.311068.jpg

I put together my orders to be placed when I get paid, here in about two weeks. So hard to narrow down what all I want to get to what I can afford to get this time around... My EO list alone runs to about two grand. And browsing Nurture's micas caused me to rework my list a bit, they have so many wonderful colors!

ETA: I'll be getting vanillin powder this time around, to try out in CP soap. I figure it'll work about like most vanilla FOs, after all a lot of them are based around vanillin. It'll just be a very single note scent. I'm also expecting it to discolor, like pretty much every vanilla sort of fragrance does to one degree or another.

I'm debating on getting some orange wax. According to info I can find about it, it's very similar to lanolin in composition, chemical make up, and skin use properties. Can't find any sort of definitive sap value for it though, so I'm thinking what I'll try is set my recipe between 0 and -5% SF, and add 5-10% by weight of oils of orange wax (based on what I set the SF to). That will result in an unknown actual superfat, but it will be between 1-5% so not excessive.

Last edited:
I put together my orders to be placed when I get paid, here in about two weeks. So hard to narrow down what all I want to get to what I can afford to get this time around... My EO list alone runs to about two grand. And browsing Nurture's micas caused me to rework my list a bit, they have so many wonderful colors!
TWO GRAND!!!!!! You are so lucky.

I probably could live a month out of that!

Thank you SunRiseArts, hope so, I got inflamed muscles.

do you have calendula flowers that you use for the soaps?

It is said (don't know if it is true) that it helps with inflammation. Maybe you can make a salve with it or something. My mother in law suffers from that, is horrible.

I cleaned my Halloween soap. It looks so pretty, but is taking forever to harden ... I used safflower instead of OO. Could that be it?

TWO GRAND!!!!!! You are so lucky.

I probably could live a month out of that!

Heh, that's the list of EOs I want, not what I'll be ordering in the next couple of weeks. I had to pick and choose quite carefully from that list to not go over this month's budget.

I've lucked into a job that gives me a few hundred dollars of disposable income every month. I'm an editor, for a reasonably successful independent author. He's generous, too. I get 10% of his royalties as my commission. And prolific. He's almost two full books ahead of me at this point, so I'm not going to run out of work anytime soon.

do you have calendula flowers that you use for the soaps?

It is said (don't know if it is true) that it helps with inflammation. Maybe you can make a salve with it or something. My mother in law suffers from that, is horrible.

I use arnica oil and my husband massage my back. According to doctor in my blood test my muscles has inflammation. Thank you

I'm debating on getting some orange wax. According to info I can find about it, it's very similar to lanolin in composition, chemical make up, and skin use properties. Can't find any sort of definitive sap value for it though...

From what I could find it has a sap value similar to lanolin, so that's how I enter it in soap calc. (OW sap 70-110, Lan sap 90-110). I'm liking it so far. My mom loves the feel of orange wax in soaps, and she's not one for compliments! I don't think anyone else noticed a difference though :)

From what I could find it has a sap value similar to lanolin, so that's how I enter it in soap calc. (OW sap 70-110, Lan sap 90-110). I'm liking it so far. My mom loves the feel of orange wax in soaps, and she's not one for compliments! I don't think anyone else noticed a difference though :)

Thanks Millie, I'll try that. I don't know how it didn't occur to me, especially after reading multiple times about how similar the two are in composition.

Heh, that's the list of EOs I want, not what I'll be ordering in the next couple of weeks. I had to pick and choose quite carefully from that list to not go over this month's budget.

I've lucked into a job that gives me a few hundred dollars of disposable income every month. I'm an editor, for a reasonably successful independent author. He's generous, too. I get 10% of his royalties as my commission. And prolific. He's almost two full books ahead of me at this point, so I'm not going to run out of work anytime soon.

lol sorry about that. I tend to scan and read the paragraph way to fast. I need to stop doing that.

I love NG fos. Wish I could add them all to my cart!
By the way candle science has 1 oz samples right now for a buck!

lol sorry about that. I tend to scan and read the paragraph way to fast. I need to stop doing that.

I love NG fos. Wish I could add them all to my cart!
By the way candle science has 1 oz samples right now for a buck!

Wish I could use FOs, they're a darn sight less expensive than EOs. But I'm allergic to artificial fragrances. :cry:

Today I packaged my first lot of soaps for a small craft sale. It took hours! My husband has made a lovely heart shape stand to put a few pieces on as an eyecatcher and I am really pleased with it. He is retired now but I think he is catching the soapcraft passion! He is going to make more of these units to sell at craft stands.

DSC05659.jpg

Quick! Add MacIntosh Apple to your cart! It's dead on in cp soap. Love it!

I did , I did! Actually I added like 15 :mrgreen:, My son had a promotion at work, and he said it would be his gift to me!

I avoided a couple of floral that reviews say would rice, though.

gorgeous Soapstars!

Going to go out into the garage in a minute and make the partitions for another couple boxes for fragrance oils (one and two ounce bottle size) and re-make my small bar mold -- the initial one warped badly, will need to use thicker plywood for the base I think. Might get really sparky and make another mold for 3.5 x 2.75 inch soap bars, too.

Going to go out into the garage in a minute and make the partitions for another couple boxes for fragrance oils (one and two ounce bottle size) and re-make my small bar mold -- the initial one warped badly, will need to use thicker plywood for the base I think. Might get really sparky and make another mold for 3.5 x 2.75 inch soap bars, too.

I should really do something like that. Over the next few months I'll wind up with 40 or 50 bottles of this and that, in various sizes from 1/4 oz to 4 oz. I also need to build a wood box for a silicone loaf mold I bought.

Latest posts

Back