~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > I was wondering

Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Arimara
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1210 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 3986

Default I was wondering

How bad of an idea is it to use a high butter recipe for a high water lotion? I'm a little apprehensive when it comes to using my resources like that but I'd also like to know if it would yield something nice. Has anyone made a high butter-high water lotion?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8145 Times on 3904 Posts
Likes Given: 3789

It would depend on how high is high, as well as which butter, how you find it generally on the skin and what, if anything, you use to combat greasiness in your lotions

Arimara Likes This 
Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
dixiedragon

Liked 3662 Times on 2110 Posts
Likes Given: 1614

To me, it depends on what your goal is. I don't think a high water, high butter lotion would be disastrous.

I make 1 thin lotion so it squeezes from a bottle. That one is 80% and uses all liquid oils. I don't think butters are inherently more moisturizing than liquid oils, so to me it makes since to use them when I want both the healing/moisturizing properties AND the hard texture. I make a thicker cream that is scooped out of a jar and I use coconut oil and a small amount of shea.
Arimara Likes This 
Old 09-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11014 Times on 4997 Posts
Likes Given: 4921

There's nothing wrong with your idea really, as long as you like the skin feel of the butter(s) you want to use. Butters add thickness to a lotion, pretty much like using stearic acid or cetyl alcohol, except butters melt at a lower temp than stearic and cetyl. In general, a lotion made with liquid oils will be thinner than the same lotion except made with butters or other fats that are solid at or above room temperature.
Arimara Likes This 
Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 AM   #5
Arimara
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1210 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 3986

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
It would depend on how high is high, as well as which butter, how you find it generally on the skin and what, if anything, you use to combat greasiness in your lotions
As long as I keep the shea low-ish and remember to use the mango butter, greasiness won't matter too much. I also tend to treat babassu like a butter sometimes but it will definitely be the "soft" oil I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
To me, it depends on what your goal is. I don't think a high water, high butter lotion would be disastrous.

I make 1 thin lotion so it squeezes from a bottle. That one is 80% and uses all liquid oils. I don't think butters are inherently more moisturizing than liquid oils, so to me it makes since to use them when I want both the healing/moisturizing properties AND the hard texture. I make a thicker cream that is scooped out of a jar and I use coconut oil and a small amount of shea.
I'm not quite aiming for more moisturizing properties. I'm just curious about how it might feel. I'm already set to avoid the stearic acid, however. Be it cream or lotion, cetearyl alcohol has won me over... or was it cetyl. I'll confirm that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
There's nothing wrong with your idea really, as long as you like the skin feel of the butter(s) you want to use. Butters add thickness to a lotion, pretty much like using stearic acid or cetyl alcohol, except butters melt at a lower temp than stearic and cetyl. In general, a lotion made with liquid oils will be thinner than the same lotion except made with butters or other fats that are solid at or above room temperature.
So I get three nods to sate my curiosity.