~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > percentages of base/mid/top notes

Old 12-02-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
cnm

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default percentages of base/mid/top notes

Is there any kind of a general rule of thumb to what percentages one should use? Like 50% top, 30% base 20% mid.
I'm guessing it would depend on the types of oils used. I'll say I'm doing a woodsy, citrus, hoppy beer soap w/ myrrh, frank, cedarwood base, grapefruit top, and maybe juniper, lemongrass mid.

I might be over thinking this also.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #2
MorpheusPA

Liked 618 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 979

You may find (I do find) that the top notes tend to disappear in soap after a while. Citrus notes? I have very little luck with them having any staying power.

Bergamot will hang a while, but even that fades faster than the mid and base notes.

So I'd personally play with it, but count on the base notes hanging the strongest and the longest. Sandalwood, vetiver, and the like are the most durable scents in my soap.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3183 Times on 2267 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Top notes 15 - 25% of the blend. Middle notes 30 - 40% of the blend. Base notes 45 - 55% of the blend. Fixatives are also used to slow down evaporation rate. The best way to learn about blending is to read and experiment. I use drops on cotton balls or cotton swabs. I put my blends in a small glass jar and check every day or so to see how the blend develops.

https://www.edenbotanicals.com/natur...ry-basics.html

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Comple...essential_oils
Lion Of Judah Likes This 
Old 12-04-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 851 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 3392

I also use drops on a cotton ball, placed on a square of tinfoil. For 50% - 5 drops; 30% - 3 drops; 20% - 2 drops. I make labels for each blend that I attempt. I usually do one then 3-4 variations, all written out ahead of time. The labels are used to close the tinfoil over the cotton ball. Then the samples go on my book shelf at nose level for sniffing over the next few weeks.

There's good info on this site too:
https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/aromaticblending.asp