zapping recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToniD

Reaction score
I tried a new recipe and it zapped both times I made it. The first time I assumed I messed up something, but after doing it twice, I wonder if there is another problem.

CO 30% 900 grms
Palm 13% 390 grms
Soybean oil 25% 750 grms
OO 25% 750 grms
Castor 7% 210 grms

1080 gr water 428 gr lye Superfat 5%

The new ingrediant I am using is the soybean oil, which is from sams. Their clear frying oil. It said 100% soybean, but on looking closer, it is preserved with citric acid and TBHQ and has an antifoaming agent in it.

Would those extras mess up my formula--specifically the citric acid--or is there something else going on?

Thanks

How long do you let it cure before you test it for zap? Some soaps can still zap days after unmolding. I have had a few batches that zapped for about 6 days or so before mellowing out, so nowadays I usually wait a week before I consider a soap to be lye-heavy or not.

IrishLass :)

no, the additives don't mess it up (and even if the citric acid did cause a problem, it'd be the reverse - counteracting some of the lye).

the amount of lye is correct, so assuming your scales is accurate, I'd say it needs more time.

how long before you test?
does your soap gel?

Oh, yeah! Duh! :? I had the citric acid thing backwards.

I suspected the scales, but made two batches of other soap that turned out OK. So I guess the scales are fine.

My soap did not gel and I only waited a day. But I should have said that one time the soap was crumbly and one time it did that excessive weeping thing. The crumbly one did not zap (two days later) but it was NOT right.

The weepy one I just rebatched at day one.

(It may have been dumb to zap test it, but I had never been zapped and was not sure I would recognize it if I was. I did :eek:ops)

:

Latest posts

Back