YouTube?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganmischke

Reaction score
I have been thinking about starting a YouTube channel and posting soap making videos. Not tutorials, just me making soap. Do you all watch any YouTube videos? Any advise if you have a channel? I don't sell so this is not to increase business. Just for the fun of it. I love making soap, and while I don't have any special techniques someone may like to watch. Thanks for any advise or tips.

Oh I would love to see videos of soapmakers just making it and not teaching ! I find it very therapeutic. Especially when people film the process of cutting soaps

Youtube is a black hole as a viewer! I go on there to look for inspiration or advice on something and look up and discover that it's 3 hours later. As much as I like instruction, I get a lot out of watching people make things just to see their technique and how they use things differently than other people.

Fair warning though, as far as comments go, Youtube is known to be harsh. I know most of the Soapers I've watch seemed to have a lot of supporters but I also know that they get nasty comments that can stick like thorns.

I don't think this should hold you back from doing it, but I think an eyes wide open policy is always best so that these things don't take you as a nasty surprise. Let's face it, if we never did anything for fear of criticism or just plain nasty people, nothing would ever get done!

If you're unfamiliar with editing software, you might want to look into that first. Your videos will be much easier to shoot if you can just edit out the parts you don't like.

Thanks Stacy! I too get lost on YouTube almost daily and love watching others' techniques. I think I have pretty thick skin, but thank you for reminding me about the comments. I have windows movie maker and while it is not top of the line, I wouldn't post videos without it. I think I want to keep the videos to 10 min max and probably have music instead of talking. Do you prefer talking on videos?

I find it depends on the person. I like the ones with music, but I also have had a lot of laughs with someone who is comfortably chatty. You can always tell if the person is uncomfortable and forcing themselves to be talkative. Mind you if the whole exercise is to get you more comfortable with talking about your product or speaking in front of people I say do whatever it is YOU want to do.

The wonder of the internet is that there's almost always someone who will like what you're doing, and if they don't, well there are plenty of other places for them to go for entertainment.

The one thing that will make me turn off a video is bad music. While I'm sure that the person may love their Death Metal, it's just not something I want to listen to while I watch someone make soap ;-)

If you are planning on using music though, you have to worry about licensing. I know youtube has been cracking down on commercial songs used in video (although there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it). Sometime they just wont allow you to use monetization (serving adds on your channel) if you use unlicensed music, but sometime they will pull the sound from your video or pull it down. Like I siad I'm not sure on the specifics but it's something you may want to look into.

I've watched a lot of videos by Ariane Arsenault and if the music isn't hers then she usually credits http://incompetech.com but i have no idea if it's free or not. There are resources available but it's something to think about!

Last edited:
I go on Youtube to look for inspiration, new idea & tips for my next soap. Since I don't have much time, I watch it during my cardio session :). I also like music to be in the video as well.

I cannot wait to see your very first video! Let us know about it and good luck!

I say go for it! You know that soapers can't get enough of anything soap related. I often watch You Tube soap videos, and I love to watch those that show good soapmaking technique. I have yet to find a video that I feel explains CP step by step, from beginning to end. I was looking for one to recommend to a friend who was vaguely interested in soapmaking, and I found that most skipped steps, or an explanation of why they were doing what they were doing.

I love to watchhttps://www.youtube.com/user/AudreeSoluna Ariane Arsenault too! That girl works hard. I loved her big batch soapmaking video. It's amazing to see her using those giant molds. Soaping 101 videos are always interesting, I've learned a lot there. And there are many others whose names I don't remember. I think it's amazing that you can learn just about anything by watching a You Tube video. And you can watch it over and over until you get it. Like having a personal instructor in you own kitchen.

Some videos are funny, some instructional, some inspirational, and yes, those with awful music are just annoying. I think if you can offer some kind of tips as you go along, or just show good soapmaking practices, so that beginners can learn from watching, that would be a valuable addition to what's already out there. Good luck!

I watch a lot of videos but I have a real problem with music and excessive chatter. It also bothers me when the camera is shaky and the soaper has to stop or walk away to locate ingredients. Having pets/children in the background is really distracting, so is a ringing phone.

I guess I really just want to watch the soaping process and be able to hear the soapers comments. I like informative videos, I want to hear you say why you are doing what you are doing. If you can edit out the sound of the stick blender, thats great too. One huge reason I like soaping 101 videos, no excess noise.

I was wondering if my first video should be for Amy Wardens soap challenge this month. Or should I put something else in there too?

Back