Your thoughts about coffee soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here, since the thread's title is "Your Thoughts About Coffee Soap", and
simply note that I was SOOOOO happy when the stench of my first (failed) batch finally faded from my kitchen.

:mrgreen:

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here, since the thread's title is "Your Thoughts About Coffee Soap", and
simply note that I was SOOOOO happy when the stench of my first (failed) batch finally faded from my kitchen.

:mrgreen:

And why, pray tell.....was it a failed batch? I would like to avoid any pitfalls that I can.

I am imagining the smell of burnt coffee???

And why, pray tell.....was it a failed batch? I would like to avoid any pitfalls that I can.

I am imagining the smell of burnt coffee???

In my wildest imagination, I could never have realized HOW BAD burnt
coffee could smell!!! Guess I let the lye get "a little" too hot? :oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, ok. So you used the coffee for your lye water. Last time I did a soap with buttermilk I put the 'lye' container in an ice bath while I added the lye slowly. Maybe I will use that method. And I will make sure to do it outside, just in case.

I have another question for anyone who has made coffee soaps. The coffee I use to drink is a mix that we make. We use a med roast and hazelnut flavored combo. Its perfectly middle of the road for me. But when I looked at the packages at the store the other day the flavored coffees like hazelnut have added flavorings obviously. Probably artificial. Has anyone used a flavored coffee like that for their lye water?

eta. Also wondering what ratios coffee/oil everyone is using to make their infused coffee oil. I used a 12oz bag of whole beans(that I ground) and 32oz of Olive Oil. The finished oil filled a wide mouth quart canning jar.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the links about coffee oil and coffee butter. I know Hazel posted one, can't remember who posted the other - but thanks. My daughter likes to make body butter so she's infusing some for that - she is using cheesecloth to hold the coffee. I have 3 jars in the crockpot now - I put the coffee in this cloth that's a tighter weave than cheesecloth but not as tight as muslin. I get these at Dollar General and use them to strain the whey from my homemade yogurt. They remind me of cloth diapers from the 70's. I'm infusing 1 olive oil to use in soap, one coconut oil to use in lotion bars, and 1 coconut to experiment with. For a couple of years I've been using organic coconut oil as moisturizer under makeup. It's pretty greasy but I just use a tiny bit. Can't wait to try some of the coffee infused coconut oil for that. I may also try some lip balm with some of it. Lots of ideas swirling around now. :)

Hi guys you can use caffine powder in your coffee soap also. it is absorbed by your skin it has great energizing qualitys.just an idea.
Thats a great idea. I wonder where I can buy that? I think next time i make coffee soap I will add powdered/instant coffee. I just think that even the finely ground and sifted coffee is too abrasive. Ive been adding 3 tbsp to 2 1/2 lb batches so maybe thats too much. My last batch i added in only 1 so we will see what happens :) :problem:

Blerg, yesterday I hot processed coffee in oil to use making soap today and I flippin' forgot to add it to the batter. It is unfortunate because none of the coffee scent seems to have made it through.

I did chill the coffee before adding the lye to it so no burnt coffee smell.

Do you remember where you saw it? I think I will try to make the infused oil tomorrow and if that works, great - less effort. Otherwise, I might try the EO. I am really excited about this one. I flove coffee with all my heart (as evidenced by the ridiculously high percentage of my grocery bill that is devoted to all things coffee) as does my sister.

But since I don't have a crock pot small enough to do this, I will probably just do it in a canning jar in a water bath.
I picked mine up from Canwax here in Canada, but I have seen it on Soap Making Resource as well.

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but here goes anyway:

Can anyone tell me, does any of the caffeine in coffee grounds or beans
get infused into the olive oil when you follow the instructions listed
earlier in this thread?

Yes!

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but here goes anyway:

Can anyone tell me, does any of the caffeine in coffee grounds or beans
get infused into the olive oil when you follow the instructions listed
earlier in this thread?

Just wondering about the caffeine powder and claims that coffee soap is "energizing" and increases blood circulation (hence diminishing cellulite). My husband bought a soap a few years ago that made all these claims and I was a little uneasy about using it since I have high blood pressure...thanks genetics; like my mom, I can be skinny as a rake and still have triple digit readings without meds :( The LAST thing I need is for my skin to absorb caffeine!

So a coffee oil infusion sounds great but what percent OO would you infuse? All of it? or just some?

I ordered an acid peel from MUAC last week and they included a sample of Brewed Coffee Body Wash. I regard this company highly, and if they're selling it that's a plus in my book :)

Just wondering about the caffeine powder and claims that coffee soap is "energizing" and increases blood circulation (hence diminishing cellulite). My husband bought a soap a few years ago that made all these claims and I was a little uneasy about using it since I have high blood pressure...thanks genetics; like my mom, I can be skinny as a rake and still have triple digit readings without meds :( The LAST thing I need is for my skin to absorb caffeine!

I don't think your skin would be able absorb any caffeine that's in soap. http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=3010
http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/style/promises-of-beauty-treatments--what-works-what-doesnt/

I've seen the coffee soaps that make all those claims. In the U.S., that would be illegal.

I don't really believe that the caffine is absorbed THROUGH the skin from body care products. I did a little experiment awhile back on myself. When I made my coffee infused oil for soapmaking. After transfering the finished coffee oil to storage jar I had a tad bit of oil on the spatula that just wouldn't come off the spatula. So I thought, I wonder if these statements really are true. I massaged that last bit of oil onto the insides of both wrists until it soaked in. Two hours later I finally got myself a real cup of coffee and drank it :grin: The amount of caffine, even if powdered caffine is added is so small and if its in a bar soap it gets washed off anyway. I am not negating effects it may have on the skin, especially in a leave in product. I just don't believe that is soaks in and 'Wakes You Up'

Latest posts

Back