Your secret to making the scent stick?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyliecoast

Reaction score
I know the basics of soap storage to keep the smell in. I was wondering about "anchoring" the scent. I've heard that if you use a "base note" fragrance like patchouli it will anchor a top note. Is that true? I like citrus oils like sweet orange.

Do fragrance oils stick better? Do they need anchoring?

You are right about anchoring the Essential Oils- citrus ones are the common faders. I use a 15x orange and don't need to anchor it. Just make sure you use enough to begin with.

Fragrance oils stick better, IMHO. Very few in my experience need anchoring. But I have come across a few that did, usually Lime or Orange FO's.
Again, you have to make sure you use enough fragrance for your batch and expect some fading during your cure- though you may not get any fading always anticipate it.

High-quality fragrance oils stick in soap longer than many essential oils. I have bars from 3 years ago scented with BB's Energy (tart and sweet citrus blend) that are still strong.

Latest posts

Back