You see a crack starting...what would you do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn2980

Reaction score
So, two days ago I made a soap I was SO happy with, 5 colors layered, great scent blend....
About 2 hours after it's in the mold, I check on it an there's a lovely crack starting in the middle and the bottom of the mold was hot (vs. the warm I usually have).
I quickly decided to pop it in the freezer figuring it was starting to overheat. (I don't gel my soaps, this was uncovered and in front of an open window as always, so one of the two FOs must have been the culprit).
About half an hour after I put it in the freezer, I thought "oh boy, bet I'm going to have a big ol' partial gel now!". Yep, cut it yesterday and it actually almost gelled completely, but I have the tell tale ring of a partial gel in each bar. First time I ever had a batch heat up enough to gel all on it's own.

So...what do you do when you see a crack happening and catch it early? Do you risk interrupting gel phase to stop the crack, or let it go??

I have never had to put it in the fridge but have had to remove any insulation and lift it off the table with a fan blowing on it. I've then taken and sprayed the top with 91% alcohol and pushed the crack together gently. Once cooled there's usually very little evidence that it cracked. I do gel all my soaps.

I do the same, except I put my gloves back on and pinch the crack back together. But I allow my soaps to gel.

I do what you did. I would rather have partial gel then a big crack or a volcano.

That was how I was thinking. First time I ever had a FO do that to me, so my snap decision was cool it down before it really overheated. I was able to fix the crack with alcohol before I put it in the freezer though.

Crazy how a FO can do that with no insulation or CPOP, not even any covering of the mold, nothing. I soap pretty cool too (about 85 degrees F). Weird :thumbdown:, but interesting chemistry at the same time lol.

I have also had that happen before and if caught early enough can spray with alcohol and then lay paper towel over the crack and gentle rub until crack is filled in. I have found it helps for me after pouring my soap into the mold after about 30 mins to an hour to hold your hand just above the soap and feel how much heat it is giving off. If it feels warmer then normal, leave it uncovered or move to a refrigerator for a hour or so. It only takes a few times and you will be able to feel if a soap is overheating.

I have never had to put it in the fridge but have had to remove any insulation and lift it off the table with a fan blowing on it. I've then taken and sprayed the top with 91% alcohol and pushed the crack together gently. Once cooled there's usually very little evidence that it cracked. I do gel all my soaps.

what shunt said.

if the crack is really prominent, i do the alcohol trick and try my best to fix it. otherwise, i just leave it there. once you cut the soap into slices, you can't really see it anymore.

I have also had that happen before and if caught early enough can spray with alcohol and then lay paper towel over the crack and gentle rub until crack is filled in. I have found it helps for me after pouring my soap into the mold after about 30 mins to an hour to hold your hand just above the soap and feel how much heat it is giving off. If it feels warmer then normal, leave it uncovered or move to a refrigerator for a hour or so. It only takes a few times and you will be able to feel if a soap is overheating.

That's exactly what I've learned to do, I actually check the loaf every hour or so for the first few hours after it's made to check for excess heat, this one just happened to heat up quick on me in between checking on it. :p

I would remove any covering or insulation and put it in a cool place, but probably not the freezer.

The alcohol trick works if you catch the soap in the act.

Back