yogurt?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendybyrd

Reaction score
I just read a post by Justpeachy stating:

I can't give an all-time favorite, but my current favorites are a cucumber puree/yogurt soap with mostly olive oil and a beer soap with wheat bran, scented with WSP's brown sugar. Yummy!!

How do you add yogurt? What would the SAP value be? How do you calculate the weight and is it a bonus ingredient added at trace or a decent percentage of the soap ingredients? Is it weird that this is the most excited I've been all day?

I use it as about 50% of my water weight, so let's say my recipe called for 16 ounces of water once I ran it through Soapcalc. I'd weigh out 8 ounces of yogurt and set it aside, then weigh out 8 ounces of water to mix with my lye. (Be extra careful when you do that, you have a higher concentration of lye in the water so just be sure to follow all of the safety precautions). I SB the yogurt into my oils before adding the lye and then soap as usual, but I know other people have other methods that work for them.

The soap I make for my dad has a mix of full fat Greek yogurt and a pureed cucumber as half of my water, and my dad absolutely loves it.

I do a Goat Milk, Honey and Yoghurt with the 4 tablespoons of yoghurt (thick, full-fat organic yoghurt) added at trace. It's lovely. One year on and it still smells great.

The recipe uses a 6% Lye Discount. The yoghurt is just extra. No calculations needed.

TessV said:
I use it as about 50% of my water weight, so let's say my recipe called for 16 ounces of water once I ran it through Soapcalc. I'd weigh out 8 ounces of yogurt and set it aside, then weigh out 8 ounces of water to mix with my lye. (Be extra careful when you do that, you have a higher concentration of lye in the water so just be sure to follow all of the safety precautions). I SB the yogurt into my oils before adding the lye and then soap as usual, but I know other people have other methods that work for them.

The soap I make for my dad has a mix of full fat Greek yogurt and a pureed cucumber as half of my water, and my dad absolutely loves it.

Do youever have a problem with your water not dissolving all the lye when you do it like that?

Nossir, I've been really lucky so far with the lye solution not being temperamental when I reduce the water amount. I did the same with the aloe/cucumber soap I made, I was afraid of what would happen with adding the lye directly to the cucumber puree and aloe goo I scraped out of the leaves, so I did the 50% of the water thing and it worked out fine.

I do my yogurt soaps the same way as Tess using the yogurt as part of the water, and blending the yogurt in with the oils in the pot before adding the lye. I use full fat Greek Style yogurt. I love how creamy the soap is.

ETA: There is no sap value for yogurt, it is calculated as part of the water weight.

Some really interesting info in here! Thank you lovely soapers! I was always afraid to start adding milk to soap, so this weekend I will be soaping with yogurt!

You can purchase powdered yogurt just like you would powdered milk too.

I am absolutely in love with yogurt soap! I feel like freezing some and making a batch tomorrow with some pureed papaya in there. :twisted:

On no, another thing to add to my list of things I want to soap! Just kidding, trying pumpkin soap hopefully in next few days. Love all the info here.

Latest posts

Back