Yellowing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hales

Reaction score
Any idea about why my soaps might be yellowing? I noticed it first with my olive oil soap (it has a very small % of coconut, but is otherwise, purely Olive oil). It didn't happen immediately, but has been months later. The smell is still great. I use grade A not virgin Olive oil. Would changing to the extra virgin olive oil help keep it whiter?

Now, I also just noticed on another soap, with only 35% olive oil in it and it has slight yellowing swirls (it was my first swirl soap).

Can you post pics? I am having trouble visualising this. It may be DOS (dreaded orange spots) caused by unstable free oil in your soap beginning to go rancid...however that is only a guess. Did you add any botanical powder to these? It could be yellowing over time too.

Pics will really help the very experienced soapers here (which I am not) to help you out.

Tanya :)

I wish I could share pics, but my camera is sent out for repair right now.

The olive oil soap has nothing added to it, but a small portion of coconut oil. It doesn't look like DOS and wouldn't it smell bad if it was DOS? Could it just be the natural state of olive oil over time? Should I use extra virgin?

I have used EV and E/Light OO and the only difference I can tell is the EL helps with an overall lighter colour. My oldest CP soap with OO is just 3 months old so I have no experience to help you out here, sorry!

Have you tried searching this forum for information? You can use the search button at the top right of this page and type in various combos e.g. 'Olive Yellow' or 'Olive Rancid' etc to see what topics may help you.

Tanya :)

Latest posts

Back