Yay!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseleyusedherbs

Reaction score
I got another wholesale acct. A local herb shop in town asked to carry my soaps and for me to teach seminars out there about the benefits of herbs. :) Yay for Wiseley Used Herbs!

Congrats! :) Must be a good feeling to have a place want to carry your products AND have you share your expertise.

Didn't you describe yourself as a soaping newbie as recently as March? Do you honestly think it's wise to be taking orders for an untested product? Or did I miss something?

I started making soap in January. I am using a recipe that has been tested several times and I have not changed the recipe. I use the same recipe for each soap. I have made tons of batches, have gotten great feedback, etc. I have kept some from January and have not had any problems. But, thanks for your concern. :)

flaming%20devil.gif
Okay I have my flame retardant suit on.

Stephanie experience is counted through numbers of batches as well as months/years/decades/etc. The biggest danger to the general public in a soap is lye burns from soap that is improperly made. You soap may develop DOS, they may end up not looking pretty in a year, but my experience is that the soaps are usually used within that amount of time. This is not rocket science.

If you had only made less than 10 batches, I might be concerned.

I started selling early and quickly developed a following. Today my soaps are so very much better than they were then, but there isn't anyone on here whose soap will not be so much better 2 or 3 years from now because we are learning all the time.

My only suggestion, as a Clinical Aromatherapist, is to learn more about the essential oils you are using because just like herbs there are contra-indicators with Essential Oil, in fact there are more than with herbs because of their potency. For instance did you know that Eucalyptus oil can interfere with anesthetic? These are things you need to know because Essential oils are basically over the counter drugs.

You have a depth of knowledge in herbology that is enviable and your soaps look great. I would recommend that you change the 100% natural to just natural since no soap can be 100 natural due to the lye used to create it.

So congrats on your wholesale account, treat this craft with as much respect as you treat your herbology and you should be fine.

Good Luck and have fun.

Cheers

Thanks, Lindy. :) Good suggestion. It seems using the words "all natural" are acceptable. I see it used with soaps that use lye. I may use that instead of 100% natural even though it pretty much means the same thing.

Even then you're kinda crossing a line. The most your soap is going to be 90% natural so rather than saying all natural just say Natural because it's not all natural ingredients. That's why 100% is also being looked closely at because both are misleading your customers.

I'm pretty sure none of us want to say mostly natural which is the truth, and most of us our soaps are 85% natural (Lye, Colour, Fragrances)

Hope that makes sense...

The term 'natural' and 'all natural' are discretionary. The FDA does not regulate it & it means different things to different people just like the word safe, or mild would mean different things to different people. I don't take issue with the term myself.

My concerns would be how will the soap hold up long term. If it cures w/ you for 2 months, sits in the store for 2-3 months (or longer), then Joe buys 10 bars and holds them for 6 months (or longer) untill Christmas rolls around to use them as stocking stuffers and the final gift recipient holds onto it for 2-3 moths before it hits the shower, what do they look like at that point? DOS? Scent/color gone/mutated? You could never guarantee unlimed freshness forever, but it would be nice to be able to guarentee freshness for 1 year from date of purchase or from the fully cure date. That is what I strive for.

No one is trying to pop your bubble, good for you jumping in & taking care of business. It's just that we have seen so many newbies sell early & then come back in a panic for 1 reason or another. That is why all of the {strong} warnings go out straight away most often now.

Before Deda pops in w/ her biggest newbie concern, were you able to find decent insurance for your biz venture?

Yes, I did get insurance. :) I got ins through a local agency and got a BOP. :)

I do appreciate all concerns and I do strive for best quality. I do believe that there are some things you will learn as you go in business. I am always learning. :)

Back