Would you sell soap that has ash on it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great solution, i would have been afraid to make the bar look used, but yours looks great!

As others have said, when we get ash we just gently wash it off and set on waxed paper to dry. If you cover your batch to keep the air out, and/or keep it from gelling (stick it in the frig) it can help some. I read where a small amount (1% to 2%) of bee wax will help, but that just seemed to make the batch trace real fast. I'm not smart enough to figure out why some batches ash and some don't. Often the only variables are the color and FO. Best solution just seems to wash them off.

Wayne , if anyone ever figures it out , man there will be many many happy soap makers out there .I have tried every suggestion I have ever heard of and nothing worked has so far , but I will keep trying .

Kitn

Wayne, I made my first soap with beeswax (1%) a few days ago. I am going to try and post a picture later today (with DH help). I pressed a piece of little bubble wrap onto the top of the soap and then covered the wooden mold with its top. I peeked several times in the first few hours because I was afraid of overheating as this recipe also had honey in it. At one point, I removed the wooden top all together as the mold felt really hot and it looked like it was going to get one of those little mounds in the middle. The soap came out fine with out ash but my bubble wrap had little gaps at the corners and those bits have very bad ash. Fortunately, it looks kinda neat as it is very white ash against a pale creamy yellow soap. I think I should have not peeked so many times and also left the cover on. So, I am not sure about the beeswax preventing ash. I have had good luck misting some of my soaps immediately after pouring with 91% alcohol. None of those have picked up ash yet on the cure rack and some are a month out now. I did not mist the beeswax batch. I totally forgot to before I pressed the bubble wrap onto the top.

reallyrita said:
Wayne, I made my first soap with beeswax (1%) a few days ago. I am going to try and post a picture later today (with DH help).

I'll check them out. Sounds awesome.

Latest posts

Back