Secret to glossy soap tops?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My soap tops never look as shiny, fresh, and glossy as when they are first poured. I use 33% water and force gel, so I don’t think soda ash is the issue, but maybe it is because I’ve been pouring at emulsion. For a minute I even thought about pouring melt and pour over the top in hopes of keeping that wet look, but something tells me that’s a bad idea. Any ideas for what I can do to keep the wet look?

Going over it with warm water and spraying lightly with alcohol will give them a little shine. You can wait on the glitter and put it on afterwards just in case you need to rub out a little spot of ash with a warm damp cloth, artist paint brush or Q-tip. These fish soaps I did like this and they do have a bit of shine! I glittered them up after as well!
IMG_2455.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are beautiful! How do you get the glitter to stick?
Thank you and if you wet the surface lightly with a little warm water ( makes the soap surface a little sticky) then spray lightly with alcohol, then shake on your glitter, you’re good. I have never had a problem with the glitter sticking. I use the ultra fine glitter though, I don’t think that would make a big difference. Just remember to spray lightly, just until you see a sheen on the soap. Don’t leave pools of water or alcohol sitting on the soap. If that happens you can dab it up with a Q-tip. You can also repeat the process by using a small soft paint brush heavily dipping it in 91% Alcohol and lightly brushing it across the surface of the soap in all the nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
@Kari Howie After you steam the soap, let it sit until dry to the touch before cutting. I use the eco-friendly glitter from The Good Glitter, so I wait to add the glitter until after I steam the soap. I add the bling while the soap is still slightly wet to keep it popping instead of dissolving! Glossy tops and gorgeous glitter, yay!

Last edited:
@Kari Howie After you steam the soap, let it sit until dry to the touch before cutting. I use the eco-friendly glitter from The Good Glitter, so I wait to add the glitter until after I steam the soap. I add the bling while the soap is still slightly wet to keep it popping instead of dissolving! Glossy tops and gorgeous glitter, yay!
I will definitely do that next time! Thanks!

My soap tops never look as shiny, fresh, and glossy as when they are first poured. I use 33% water and force gel, so I don’t think soda ash is the issue, but maybe it is because I’ve been pouring at emulsion. For a minute I even thought about pouring melt and pour over the top in hopes of keeping that wet look, but something tells me that’s a bad idea. Any ideas for what I can do to keep the wet look?

As Zany mentioned, if I want colors to pop more after cutting, I simply mist lightly with alcohol, but I don't rub them with anything. Colors look more intense & the soap looks glossy all over.

For some soaps, I prefer not to do this, actually, but others I sometimes do.

Regarding melt & pour, I am trying to remember where I saw it, but I have seen some beautiful cold process / melt & pour experiments, even with melt & pour in the centers of soaps. They definitely can be combined. I may try it some day when a melt & pour base is invented without some of the chemicals & additives I try to avoid.

Back