will lye disoclor whatever you add it to?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jola

Reaction score
I'm guessing yes. But just wondered.
I made some soap with tea yesterday that was a beutiful red color and once the lye went in it turned a 'lovely' shade of brown.

I'm guessing the same will happen with wine?

what if I like half the water for the lye and then added the wine at trace? Would that help keep any of the scent or color? Hrmmm.... It might be time to experiment.

You might be able to keep the color, but I wouldnt' count on the scent, and no lye doesn't change all coloring. It will with some becuase of the PH factor and the chemical process, and also some FO's will turn soap a different color (especially vanilla scent)

I've never soaped wine before though, so I have no specific experience with that...

with wine, i would say that unless your doing M&P (which i know darn near nothing about)...it would discolor...unless you are adding something such as clays...or activated carbon AKA charcoal... which do not discolor

some colorants are pH stable. for example - annatto and calendula infused oils will keep their colors through the soaping process. but most won't - especially teas.

No, not everything. I have made pure white soap before. Teas, yes will discolor, milk yep.. discolor.. soap colorant, mica, oxides and certain herbs will make it through the process.

I soaped with red wine. I added the lye directly to the wine. The soap is kind of a pinky tan colour. It overheated because I elected not to simmer off the alcohol first (duh), and I rebatched it. I scented it with straight Lavender EO, and the resultant soap smells like something else. Grape juice, perhaps. Sort of lavendery, but not really. Not wine either. Maybe drunken lavender.

Lye to red pepper gives orange.
Lye to tomato juice gives orange.
Lye to carrot juice gives yellow.
Lye to goatsmilk can stay a nice creamy colour, if you're careful.
Lye to coconut milk stays white.
Lye to red-brown ale turns a lovely golden tan.

Red wine was an interesting experience for me. I boiled the alcohol out, let it cool added my lye, it turned blue green. But after it sat in the mold for a day or so it evened out to a creamy pink or flesy color.

I've also put it in whipped soap. It turned blue but as with the regular CP it faded into a nice soap color. My end result was a little grayish, but I had used an FO w/a smidgeon of vanilla.

Makes a nice feeling soap, tho.

That's it all this talk of booze, I am making booze soap, wine , beer, two for me, one for the batch, whoo hoo.
I'll bet ya guiness makes a great soap.
And if not who cares I'll have five left to drink.

Latest posts

Back