Will I ever learn?! 22-26

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrairieCraft

Reaction score
Shea Rose GM- The M was ungelled and bars were gelled same batch, obviously should have prevented gel on the whole thing but wasn't sure how the color would come out. Now I know.

Shave Soap- First try at this. Scented with Barber Shoppe and uncolored. Very hard bar, can't wait to use it. Will be making a girly scented shave bar soon.

Wild Mountain Honey FO w/ honey as sugar- Went into fridge immediately but it just wasn't enough, it gelled within the hour. I have made room in my freezer and will try it that way next time. The bar in front was on the end and didn't gel. If the whole batch would have turned out like that sliver I would have been happy.

Lemon Shea- One of the softest bars I have made yet, this one is going to take forever to harden.

Black Canyon FO- I let this one overheat and the FO got really dark and kinda funky. After sitting for a week it's looking a little better and I'm sure it will be great soap (bastille) it just looks funny.

I am beginning to think that gel is the enemy, to be avoided at all cost. Mostly. Sometimes. I guess you never really know until you try and I am doin' a whole lotta tryin' over here.

omg I love the color of the lemon shea. I am a total lemon lover.

You know, I really didn't even use that much colorant in this batch. It was only 1/2 tsp ppo of Natural Yellow from TKB. It just kept getting darker and darker. Lemon is one of my fave soaps. ( I also like lemon cookies, lemon pie, lemon cake, lemonade, etc...)

Call me crazy (most people do :wink: ) but I like the look of the gelled rose. I like that rustic handmade look. At any rate....gorgeous soaps!!

Hi! Thanks so much for posting the gelled/ungelled pics. I'm new to "not gelling" and it was SO helpful to see the difference it can make.

I love the dark rose/maroon ones- but, I also like the lighter ones. It's neat that you can get such different colors out of the same batter!

:)
nice job!

I think they all look good. Gelled...ungelled, just different, not better or worse. I like them both.

Prarie, the EXACT same thing happened to me when I used Black Canyon FO in my 'tried-and-true-never-fails-me' recipe... same yellowis-brown weirdness color. Smells good though! I did a repeat batch and gelled it veeery carefully and it came out a rich mahogany brown, so it must be fussy about heat.

I agree, both roses are nice, and I think they make a nice "set"

Best Natural Soap said:
Hi! Thanks so much for posting the gelled/ungelled pics. I'm new to "not gelling" and it was SO helpful to see the difference it can make.

I love the dark rose/maroon ones- but, I also like the lighter ones. It's neat that you can get such different colors out of the same batter!

:)
nice job!

Thanks, I figured other people may as well learn something from all this experimentation I'm doing. Public service :lol:

Back