Wild game tallow??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkd.veronica

Reaction score
Has anyone rendered trimmings from wild game for tallow? I'm thinking of trying this if my hubby gets his elk this month. Anyone done this before? I'm assuming it would be treated as beef tallow?

You may really really want to render this outdoors. I understand that wild game is yucky, stinky...if you have your house closed up you may not like it...Either dry or wet render. Its up to you..

TRex

You're right. Wild game has a tendency to be "over-powering"!! Elk isn't quite as bad as deer. I hadn't thought about doing it outside. Good thought!! What's the difference between wet & dry rendering? I didn't realize there were 2 ways. When I rendered a 5-gallon bucket of pork fat, I added about a cup if water to get things started. Would that be wet? I just threw the stuff in a pot & played it by ear. First time & I figured it couldn't be too difficult....

My favorite way...for out doors

pack scraps into crockpot. Add handful of salt, add water to just over the scraps. Plug crockpot in on the deck. Walk away for a day or so. Preferably with the crockpot somewhere it doesn't get covered in snow which then melts.

yeah I had a friend hunting for bear and I made him promise i'd get the fat...didn't catch one. I sulked for days! Now the guys around the office call me a redneck as my answer when one of them talks about hunting is 'I want the fat!'

Here's hoping your hubby does better.

edited to add : you may have to clean it twice, aka melt the tallow, let it form a hard disc on top, cut it out and ditch the waste, rinse, lather, repeat. I tend to keep a few discs and then do them all together so as to waste less.

Just for info in case you didn't know. Bear is a member of the swine family...would their fat be considered lard? Or tallow? Bear makes the BEST EVER ham!!

And there ain't nuthin' wrong with being a redneck woman. Gretchen Wilson owns her redneckin'!!

I have done the Miss Piggy rendered soap and it turned out as expected, snow white and stiff as nails.

The Babylonians used sheep fat in their soap, so can't see why wild game would not be fine, but as stated there might be an odor thing to deal with.

Dry Render: Dice or grind up the fat (will melt faster) and add to a covered roaster or a crockpot. Some people leave it in the oven overnite...I would want to watch it. As the fat melts, you ladle it off. Then let that melted fat get hard again. Then do it again but this time add about 1 tsp salt to each pound of fat. This salt attaches to the pieces (blood, small bits of meat, etc). When this fat gets cold, you should be able to cut the fat off the top of the pot, turn it over and scrap the "trash" off. What is left is rendered tallow. I prefer not to do it this way...I have done it once. Mine ended up being yellow like butter, and when I used it in my recipe, I could still smell the tallow. Plus is was messy.

Wet render: Dice or grind fat up, add to pot then add water with salt to cover the chunks. Start boiling... It will take a while. When done, cool. I render in the winter. I put the covered pot out on the porch. Let nature chill it off, not the frig. Next morning, the melted fat will be at the top, cut it out and scrape off. You will have bits in the bottom of the pot, you can feed to the animals or trash. Do this several more times, just make sure that you have quite a bit of water in the pot. Your tallow will be white and very clean. The last thing that I do is add the cleaned fat into a stockpot without water and melt very very slowly...There will be water caught in your cold tallow (it will mess with you tallow weights). By melting slowly, any water in the tallow will sink to the bottom...ladle off pure tallow off the top.

TRex

Turn of the century soapmaking manuals say to render the fat. Then heat and mix with salt. This will coagulate all the "other stuff" and removes any left over water. Let it sit overnight.

The next day remove the layer about the salt and reheat. Mix this with fullers earth for half an hour and filter. Filter bags from McMaster Carr work well. This will lighten the color and remove some odor. Baking soda also helps deodorize, I've read vinegar works as well.

There are also ways to do it with sulfuric acid but it's my experience that they always turn the fats brown. It does however get the fatty acids down.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help!! What a great group I have found to help me through this new hobby/obsession.

Although my hubby & his cousin were succesful (two beautiful elk!), there was NO FAT on those critters!! We couldn't believe it! Maybe next year. :lol:

Latest posts

Back