Why is Panthenol powder so expensive now?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use ProVitamin B5 in your recipes?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

SoapOfTheNorth

Reaction score
I use to buy dl-Panthenol powder from Saffire Blue. For $38 I’d get 580 grams. It goes a long way. They don’t have it anymore. I found it on makingcosmetics.com but the same volume is $125 plus duty and shipping. Is there some kind of shortage?

@SoapOfTheNorth, it's $39.95 per lb on Lotioncrafter. Not sure about their shipping rates to Canada but might be worth a try.
ETA: Panthenol, not silk.

Last edited:
Do you need 20 ounces of the powder. Brambleberry.com and Save On Citric have DL-Panthenol in 1 oz and 4 oz sizes.

I've purchased it from Ingredients to Die For, and just checked to see what their prices were. Not only have they gone up quite a bit, but they also posted a message stating, "Alert: Worldwide shortage continues and is ongoing. Quantities will be limited to one item. We apologize for the inconvenience."

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/DL_Panthenol_100/173

Interesting.

I use it in my hair conditioner recipe in spite of the fact many esteemed members of the Chemist's Corner forum find it to be an unnecessary "fluff" ingredient. With the latest price increase, the frugal side of me says it may be time to take what they are saying to heart. :rolleyes:

I've purchased it from Ingredients to Die For, and just checked to see what their prices were. Not only have they gone up quite a bit, but they also posted a message stating, "Alert: Worldwide shortage continues and is ongoing. Quantities will be limited to one item. We apologize for the inconvenience."

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/DL_Panthenol_100/173

Interesting.

I use it in my hair conditioner recipe in spite of the fact many esteemed members of the Chemist's Corner forum find it to be an unnecessary "fluff" ingredient. With the latest price increase, the frugal side of me says it may be time to take what they are saying to heart. :rolleyes:

Yes I've recently learned there's a 'shortage' due to huge demand in China .. not sure how true that is.

I use to buy dl-Panthenol powder from Saffire Blue. For $38 I’d get 580 grams. It goes a long way. They don’t have it anymore. I found it on makingcosmetics.com but the same volume is $125 plus duty and shipping. Is there some kind of shortage?
Sadly 4 years later, they are selling it at 81$ for only 227g.

Back