Why is my ls resolidifying???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! Yep, I've been thinking I was crazy for even trying LS when solid soap is so utterly easy. I would love to put this all aside and try that lard/PKO combo, but I only have a little more of this batch to dilute and thicken. It prolly is too oily for laundry soap, but it's not bad bath soap once it's been messed with enough. It might do okay as dish soap too. I totally stopped taking notes on this batch because I swear I'll never make this recipe again!

Then there's the train wreck that happened when I tried adding salt the first time... Of course, it looked great... until it cooled down. Had to warm it up because adding the salt water at room temp made little soap strings that wouldn't mix in. At the time, I didn't realize what a difference temperature makes, so I kept adding salt water until it seemed thick enough. Total disaster. Lesson learned. I'm just thankful I didn't do that to the whole batch at once.

Wow! Two minutes to make soap! How much water did that batch take to dilute? I'd be terrified to try a recipe that was 100% oil! As for the glycerin, it's good to know it's a solvent, but I'm a long way from subbing it for water, lol! Maybe adding a little to the dilution water would be helpful though.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Yahoo LS group, but haven't yet tried to hunt it down. I'm getting enough help here for now, for which I'm extremely grateful. Without your help, that batch would have gone to a watery grave down the toilet!

I forgot to mention that with my first batch, I was having trouble finding glycerin, A guy who worked at the drugstore was helping me look, and we ended up on the aisle with laxatives. There was a tub of glycerin suppositories, and since there didn't seem to be any liquid glycerin around, I had a look at the ingredients: glycerine, NaOH, and stearic acid. That should work, right? Brought home that tub of 100 suppositories and added about half of it to my first batch... which is sitting in the garage, hard as a rock, waiting for me to decide whether to throw it out or try to salvage it. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the other half tub of suppositories. Wait for constipation? A LOT of constipation?

Hey! Maybe I could melt the suppositories down, add a little oil, and turn it into lip balm! Yeah! That'll work great! Right? As long as I don't tell anyone who might use it that it started life as suppositories...

Latest posts

Back