Why indigofera tinctoria days did not make soap blue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann g.

Reaction score
I made my first soap with indigo powder today. But the soap did not come out blue. It is a very very pale green. I used 1/2 tsp for a two pound batch.

Hi, I've not used it yet. But do not believe you can use it. Similar to micas. Bought mine to infuse OO with. Holly from Ytube University. Has a video on olive oil infusion. And many vids using the infused OO. Hope it helps a little.

The high pH of the soap reacts with many natural colorants and often causes....surprises. Indigo can be a myriard of colors...purplish, reddish, gray, blueish...although I haven't had green yet, but still not surprised to hear someone did. Also, see what it looks like after a couple of days because it quite possible the color will settle out as the pH lowers when saponification finishes.

How did you add the indigo? You may need to add more, especially if you’re adding it as dry powder, or consider making an oil slurry as suggested above, or adding the indigo to the lye. The slurry method works well if you just want to color a swirl. The lye method works well for making a one color soap, and is economical since the lye seems to pull out more of the color. I’ve used three different kinds of indigo powder, added to the batter in oil, or added to the water before the lye is added. With all types, the color looks gray in the batter but turns a shade of blue by the time I cut the soap, as long as I add enough to have at least a noticeable gray color in the batter. I’ve had everything from aqua to almost purple As a final color. Your base recipe may shift the color towards green or muddy the color if the uncolored soap turns out a bit yellow or tan. If you decide to try the lye method, use a large container to mix the lye with the water because the reaction with the indigo will be energetic.

Latest posts

Back