Why do you CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bicycle808

Reaction score
I've been making soap for a few years now, and it's pretty much all been CP. I've been experimenting with liquid soap too (and doing pretty well!), which has a HP component to the methods. This has got me more curious about making HP bars, but I'm kind of set in my ways. (I like to pour soap into molds, for instance.) However, HP seems to have many advantages over CP, so... I'm torn.

If you CP instead of HP, why? Or, if you HP over CP, why? If you do both,which do you like better (& why)?

tia
-Rob

I've never really been interested in anything other than CP, soapwise...not that I don't have lots of respect for those who do such beautiful HP soaps!!
But I've been a science major all my life AND I'm something of a control freak, so CP suits me down to the ground! I enjoy the process of creating something new out of raw ingredients and the control I have over the qualities of my soap after researching different oils, etc. Sometimes an idea seems great in theory, but in reality it kind of s*cks...but I learn from every new experiment. That's what keeps it fun for me :)

I'm a weird old soul. . . well, I'm not actually an old soul (as I see it), but I love to do things the hard (or long) way. I love to anticipate the patience and the anticipation is a thrill. I love to do things that are methodical and take time. I'm weird that way. It's hard to explain, but that's why I call myself "old soul soap." I love slow processes. There's no other way to say it. And, that's why I LOVE the CP method. It feels old fashioned and archaic.

I agree. When I was a child (always having been a girl who dabbled in everything), my aunt bought me a little MP kit. I didn't exactly understand what it was or what was going on with it. I followed the instructions, but I was pretty sure I wasn't actually "making soap," and was pretty confused.

I was so happy to later discover what making soap actually was. But it took SO many years to figure out.

Because when I refuse to strap on the goggles and gloves I feel like I am living dangerously and am a crazy mad scientist, and even if I do blow up my lab (read: kitchen) I shall be swept off my feet by Tom Hiddleston who will save me from certain death. We shall then ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.

That and I like playing around with percentages and such to get a nice bar of soap that I made from basic household items.

I've done a lot of both HP and CP. Each has its place. But lately I've done more CP. It is mainly a time factor. One evening I can measure my oils, line my mold, etc. The next evening I can actually make the soap. That way I can fit my hobby into my busy schedule. HP takes longer with waiting for the water to boil, cooking, etc. CP also makes prettier soap, at least for me. And since the curing process is more than just saponification and water evaporation, I really feel like CP is good to use almost as soon. That's my 2c worth. ;)

I don't have a lot of experience to speak from but here's my 2c. I started with HP using a crockpot. I made two batches and though they both made nice soap I wanted to give CP a try because I wanted 'pretty' soap. Since I cp at room temp I find it much more relaxing than HP. Even though I did hp in a crockpot I would never leave the room while the soap was cooking so that tied me to the kitchen for hours. And I feel that I can be more creative with cp (layers, swirls, fancy molds) which is what attracted me to soaping in the first place.

As far as the advantage of being able to use hp soap sooner, I tried my hp soaps in the beginning and didn't like them. After 6 weeks of curing I love them. So I feel there's no advantage and will probably be sticking with cp.

Mostly because I can make prettier soap. I love the idea of doing swirls and things like that. Plus, I don't have hours and hours to sit by a crockpot. I have a ten month old so I have a few hours to soap between when she goes to bed and when she wakes up for a feeding, and a few hours here and there on the weekend when my husband can watch her. I had to do a rebatch last week, because my beer soap overheated and had separation and even that almost kept me up past my bedtime.

I did HP exclusively for several years, and I loved that you didn't have to test your FO, it all "worked", plus you could use more colors without morphing. But, my soap always warped and didn't look as smooth and pretty as CP. Also, it took more time.

But the testing required of each FO is a major disadvantage of CP.

I get a much smoother pour using cold process. While hp soap can be used as soon as it is cut, it still should go through a cure period.

As far as the advantage of being able to use hp soap sooner, I tried my hp soaps in the beginning and didn't like them. After 6 weeks of curing I love them. So I feel there's no advantage and will probably be sticking with cp.

You are exactly right. Just because the HP method saponifies the soap quicker so you can use it right after you are finished does not mean the soap has cured! You still need to cure your soap whether you CP or HP. ALL soap needs to cure.

I do CP. Like someone mentioned it is relaxing and I enjoy it. I love having recipes that I can do swirls or be creative with before the batter starts to get hard on me.

I do CP because I HATE babysitting my soap. Once I stickblend (that you have to do with HP) and put my scent in (that you still have to do with HP) and pour my soap - (which is not as easy with HP) I can walk away from it until the next day when I take it out of the mold.
After the mixing part with HP you then have to wait for the crock pot to cook it, but you can't wait too long or it will be too dry, and you can't finish too quickly or it's not done cooking. BLEH I'm too impatient for all that. Some people will stir several times during the cook and some just at the end. But for me that is all just added work that is unnecessary, since you still should cure your HP soaps for at least a couple of weeks before using them. (at least I do, otherwise they are still too harsh to use for my skin)

Good responses here. I am puzzled as to some of the "old-fashioned" and "real soap" comments; HP is real, from-scratch soap-- it ain't melt-n-pour or anything. But I think that the pourability of CP is huge, for me. I can't imagine trying to put clumpy HP stuff into a pvc mold and getting the nice, smooth hockey pucks I do now. Plus, I know from making liquid soap that you're gonna soap for hours at a time with HP; CP is easier to break up into segments, time-wise, plus less active time overall.

I still think that HP has advantages in terms of using FO/EO effectively (although I tend not to use either), plus it's more forgiving in terms of packaging options. Plus, a lot of articles online say that doing swirls is easier with HP, due to the chunky consistency, but comments on this thread suggest the opposite. A moot point, for me, b/c I don't use typical colorants, beyond ground spices and infusions.

But, whenever I'm almost out of a particular type of soap, and folks start asking for it, I get all stressed and part of me thinks "if i were making HP, I could have the stuff ready for tomorrow!" I can see how cure is important for HP as well as CP, but at least HP can be moved more quickly.

Still, I don't wanna mess with success, and my CP routine has become really trouble-free lately...

Anyone else have any comments/opinions?

I started with HP, but I have moved to mostly CP. It's just less hassle.

I think, since I've never made HP soap, that viewing YT videos, the CP just seemed more my cup of tea.
Too much 'babysitting' as jcandleaddict stated for the HP. CP also looked more creative, and creamy, or vibrant, depending
on the look you were going for.

Plus, a lot of articles online say that doing swirls is easier with HP, due to the chunky consistency, but comments on this thread suggest the opposite. A moot point, for me, b/c I don't use typical colorants, beyond ground spices and infusions.
Anyone else have any comments/opinions?

You can get absolutely gorgeous swirls using infusions and natural colorants. It's all in how you work it.
I've tried swirling HP, and me personally, I can't do it, but I have seen some really beautiful swirls done in HP, so it can be achieved, I just havent' been able to do it.

I carefully read all the methodology and techniques of various soap making processes and was really only interested in cold process. The reasoning was:

• MP was never a consideration as the primary point of making my own soap was to have control over the ingredient list.
  • I desperately wanted to play with the artistry: swirl techniques and layers.
  • Sensitive ingredients like goat milk worked better at lower temperatures.
  • Intriguing textures like whipped soap required room temperature to work.
  • The time spent on the manufacturing component fit into my schedule better.
  • The time spent on CP was primarily DOING, while the time spent on HP involved quite a bit of babysitting the crockpot. I prefer active participation.

I am very much a neophyte to soap making and may expand my repertoire in the future, but this is my current thought process for starting with CP.

Last edited:
Some people like the rustic look of HP, but personally, I'm not a fan of it. I gel all of my CP soap, so that helps to cut cure time a little bit. I still prefer letting it cure the full 8 weeks, but it is safe to use sooner. With my illness, CP works well... I can make 40 bars of soap per day (currently) and then when I feel crummy, I don't have to do anything. I just ignore it while it cures. Usually by the time it cures, I feel better and then I get a boost of energy right about when it's time to wrap and label. :)

Latest posts

Back