Why did it crumble?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I unmolded a batch with Matcha. I had substituted ½ the water with Matcha tea and added a small amount of green soap colouring.
When I cut it, it crumbled like some dry Cheddar cheeses sometimes do. And I am wondering WHY?

Coconut oil: 25%
Hemp oil: 10%
Olive oil: 50%
Shea Butter: 5%
Beef Tallow: 10%

Water: Lye 2:1
Water 28.11%
Lye concentration 33.33%

Many of my soaps have a Water:Lye as 2:1, otherwise I might suppose that I hadn't added enough water.
Any ideas ??

I'm a bit confused by your water% and lye concentration %. How much lye and how much water did you use? You didn't list that. Did you wait too long to cut it? Sometimes that can cause crumbling. Did it gel?

OK, that would be it. Yes, I waited several days before taking it out of the mold and cutting. Is there anything I can do to make amends?

Failed soap.jpg

I was all bog standard - no false trace. I had added honey to the tea, and it jelled very quickly + the mold got very hot. I froze it for an hour.
Can I shred it and rebatch? I'd hate to write it off as a learning experience.

You waited to long to cut. It is really better to cut soap as soon as it is firm enough to pull from the mold. I usually cut a gelled batch anywhere from 8-12 hrs. Instead of rebatching I would shred it up for a confetti soap and save some to use, if it does not zap it is fine to use

I would do the same as cmzaha. Grate it and add it to another batch. I may have overheated as well. You didn't list honey in your original post. And may have been soaping too hot.

If you’re just shredding and adding to another batch you don’t need water added. You would only need to add water if you’re going to rematch it. I would just shred it, make another batch about half to 3/4 size then stir in the shreds when at a medium trace.

You need to add one part of confetti to part of batter. You don’t need to use it all in one batch. I usually reduce it by a bit less than the amount of confetti I’m adding. So to 1000g batch add 300g confetti reduce the batch by 20%. (Not 30). So use a 800g batch of oils instead of 1000g.

What temp did you soap at? It looks like you have stearic spots in your soap.

Latest posts

Back