White swirls in my soap- - just checking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessMommy

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap yesterday and just *love* the color I got. I used Ultra Blue from Snowdrift farms. At first when mixing the color in it was very ugly and hardly noticeable - so I added nearly 1.5 tsp. to a 28oz batch. But, the blue is lovely now.

But, it has some white swirling to it. I know I mixed the heck out of that stuff - including using the stick blender at one point (although not for long because I didn't want it to seize up). It cut nice and smooth - the white isn't hard and crusty. I did a zap test too and got nothing - but I've never gotten a zap on any of my soaps.

I just want to make sure this doesn't look like lye streaks to anyone with experience:

4584790916_a48c51b073_m.jpg

4584164457_71dcfd39ff_m.jpg

As you can see the white "bubbles" got a little brown. I warmed them up in the oven at about 275* before adding it to the batch. Does anyone have any good tips for avoiding the discoloration?[/img]

maybe that is a small bit of uncolored soap from scraping the bowl? i get those sometimes even when i think i have mixed it very well

lol I like the way it looks! it's very artistic, I couldn't achieve that if I TRIED

krissy said:
maybe that is a small bit of uncolored soap from scraping the bowl? i get those sometimes even when i think i have mixed it very well

Yes, that's probably what it is. I hadn't thought of that. But looking back, I have the same effect on the batch I made last week.

Thanks!

Back