White spots or chunks in hot process -help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been using the same recipe for 2 lbs of soap and never seem to have a problem but my last 3 batches have had white chunks in them. the only new thing i have been using is the coconut oil but it's the same one i always use just new.
so i cook it everything is great -test for zap and good. then i can see the white chunks. is this coconut oil. i am now on my 3rd loaf and just want to cry. i rubbed a piece of it between my hands and nothing...
any help.
the recipe is just olive oil, coconut oil, and distilled water and shea butter.
i add the goats milk after cook but the chunks were there before this stage.
thanks..

hi,

i make it in the crockpot so i just melt the oils and then put them in the crockpot and then stir in the lye water....
i don't check temps...

Ok then. It could be dried soap from the edges of the crock pot. Are you getting trace with just stirring? Are you using a stick blender?

hello,
i will post a pic...
also i do use a stick blender and it got thick and traced pretty quick.

Same kind of coconut oil? You didn't accidentally get 92 degree instead of 76 (though I'm sure the crockpot would get it hot enough to melt either...). Is your lye completely dissolved? Could your crockpot be dying/not heating enough?

it is the 76 degree coconut oil. You know it did cross my mind about it dying. before using it for soap i barely cooked in it so i thought it would last a lot longer.. hmnm...

i've gotten white chunks in mine, but it's just been the soap from the edges that gets a little too solid during the cook. I think it's because of evaporation, so i've been putting a towel on my lid to help keep the moisture in, and that helps. Did you do a water discount with your recipe? That would make the soap dry out faster. It shouldn't bother the outcome of your soap if that's the reason, it will just change the look. I think it looks kinda cool, like you embedded something but without the work of embedding!

Without a picture, it could be anything.... but I would guess the same as what smartinoff said...

actually my last loaf that i thought would have the chunks in it -dried and cured without any. Yay! If I get them back again I will be sure to post.
Thanks. I have tested it out and it's fine.

My last HP batch has white chunks it in, it's from top that dried out more than the rest like smartinoff mentions. I hadn't seen it before so I didn't have a frame of reference for you. I'd say that would probably be it :D

Spots or clumps in hot process

I had the same thing happen to me. However I didn't use coconut oil it was replace with Palm oil. Could this be undisolved lye of soap from the crock pot. How can this be avoid. I attempted to color the soap but those little pieces stayed white. I just want to scram. I want smooth soap. Is this soap still usable? Another thought could this 1lb of soap be to big for my 10 qrt cockpot

I had the same thing happen to me. However I didn't use coconut oil it was replace with Palm oil. Could this be undisolved lye of soap from the crock pot. How can this be avoid. I attempted to color the soap but those little pieces stayed white. I just want to scram. I want smooth soap. Is this soap still usable? Another thought could this 1lb of soap be to big for my 10 qrt cockpot

This post is 6 years old. The OPs aren't even around any longer. Welcome to the forum. Please read the rules. Also, pop into the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.

Back