White spots on Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engblom

Reaction score
I made a batch of Castile (lightly scented with a bit of lavender EO) one week before Christmas. Now some strange white spots have been appearing on them.

This is not the first time I have been seeing white spots on Castile. I made a 100% Castile last summer (totally unscented). They also developed white spots. At those white spots later DOS appeared. At that time I a bit too much superfatted, so I was thinking this was the cause. I also kept it for quite some time warm to dry them faster.

This time I kept the soap 5 days warm (around 45C), until I could cut the loaf into pieces. After that they have been in room temperature. I had the soap about 4% SF.

What could be the cause? I used EVOO.

EDIT: I attached a picture.

20140104_215511.jpg

Last edited:
That's a bummer! I've just made my first bastile recipe so I can't help you. I'm hoping some experienced folks reply.

Looks like soda ash to me. Soda ash frequently forms on the surface of the soap and is quite harmless. To get rid of it, scrape, cut or wash off the powder on the soap before use. It does not affect the quality of your cold process soap.
Soda ash is more likely to appear on soaps that have been mixed and poured either too hot or cold, or not insulated properly after pouring, so that the temperature either drops or spikes to quickly during your gel phase.

Hi, I'm new on this forum (but not to soapmaking) and I have seen this on my EVOO Castile as well. Definitely not ash as it is in the soap not on the surface. And only in one or two spots on the whole loaf.

Actually, since I'm posting, I have seen info in different places that have different opinions on whether EVOO or pomace has a higher amount of unsaponifiables. Does anyone have a link to a definitive answer?

Here's a link to an olive oil industry pdf of a codex that states the accepted values of types of OO.

3.5 Unsaponifiable matter:
Maximum level
Virgin olive oils
Refined olive oil 15 g/kg
Olive oil

Olive-pomace oils 30 g/kg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=9lDgA7peIQsUVaRL08FM8w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cGU

Makes sense to me that there would be a bunch more stuff in there that would be nonsap since they are cooking it and using solvents to pull the last of the oil out so other things come with it.

Looks like soda ash to me. Soda ash frequently forms on the surface of the soap and is quite harmless. To get rid of it, scrape, cut or wash off the powder on the soap before use. It does not affect the quality of your cold process soap.
Soda ash is more likely to appear on soaps that have been mixed and poured either too hot or cold, or not insulated properly after pouring, so that the temperature either drops or spikes to quickly during your gel phase.

It's definitely not ash.

The white spots are there right from unmolding. At 6% superfat. Didn't see any on the 5% superfat so maybe it's some free oil?? Doesn't look or feel greasy though. I'll have to see if mine develop DOS.

The white spots are there right from unmolding. At 6% superfat. Didn't see any on the 5% superfat so maybe it's some free oil?? Doesn't look or feel greasy though. I'll have to see if mine develop DOS.

huh... + sorry I was confusing you and Engbloom.
My standard not being an expert disclaimer applies but if your OO was good I don't see any reason for your 5 or 6% free fats clumping together to make a spot like that. I would think maybe but not even likely you'd see swirlys or veins with a supper high SF but not symmetrical dots like that. Are you later getting DOS too?

My first couple of 5% batches are 5 months old and no DOS. The next one was 5% as well and it is just reaching 4 months and had only one bar with a white spot at the top of the bar. I'll have to check the others.

I buy my EVOO at Costco, they have a pretty quick turnover so I suspect the oil was fairly fresh. Really I have no idea. But thanks, Boyago for responding to this.

Latest posts

Back