White soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaviel

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
In your opinion, which oils are suitable to obtain a *really* white soap, avoiding the use of the titanium dioxide? :D

I dislike its effect in soap, and i'm searching for a way to obtain a wonderful, shining, white soap... :roll:

I don't let my GM soaps gel and they turn out to be a creamy off-white color instead of a dark tan . . . I imagine non-GM soaps would be even lighter.

CherryGardenGirl said:
I don't let my GM soaps gel and they turn out to be a creamy off-white color instead of a dark tan . . . I imagine non-GM soaps would be even lighter.

sorry... what is GM? :oops:

How do you avoid them gelling, if you don't mind telling?

Sorry! GM is goat milk :) I raise dairy goats and use the extra milk in my soaps!

How do I avoid gel? Stick 'em in the freezer or fridge for a day or so ;) If you search this forum I'm sure you'll find some more tips and ideas about it. This is where I learned about it too!

Galaviel said:
I dislike its effect in soap, and i'm searching for a way to obtain a wonderful, shining, white soap... :roll:

I've had success with two recipes:

100% Coconut @ 20% superfat - this comes out BLINDINGLY white and hard as concrete! :shock:

50% Lard/30% Coconut/10% Olive/10% Castor - this comes out pretty white....not exactly a stark white but close. The same would likely be true of the recipe but subbing beef tallow.

I should mention, I do not gel...

Good luck :)

Thank you all, that's very interesting!!
I haven't heard before about avoiding gel phase, i've to search some post about...

A soap 100% coconut oil sounds too aggressive for my skin... in italy usually we don't use more of 20% coconut oil in soap...

I've surely to try with the recipes with Goat Milk and with Lard.... thanks again! :D

The key to the 100% Coconut is leaving the 20% superfat - otherwise it will be an extremely drying soap. 20% superfat makes an unbelieveably bubbly, luxurious soap :)

To avoid the gel, I soap at 90 degrees F, put my wood molds in the freezer for 2 hours before. After pouring, I put the mold in the freezer for 2 hours, then in the refrigerator overnight.

ChrisShepp said:
The key to the 100% Coconut is leaving the 20% superfat - otherwise it will be an extremely drying soap. 20% superfat makes an unbelieveably bubbly, luxurious soap :)

To avoid the gel, I soap at 90 degrees F, put my wood molds in the freezer for 2 hours before. After pouring, I put the mold in the freezer for 2 hours, then in the refrigerator overnight.

Very interesting... we don't use superfat usually, we use instead a discount of lye at 5-6%
I want to try this method, and also to avoid the gel!! :D

Galaviel said:
Very interesting... we don't use superfat usually, we use instead a discount of lye at 5-6%
I want to try this method, and also to avoid the gel!! :D

In the US, we sometime say 'Superfat' when we really mean 'Lye Discount'. You want to make your 100% Coconut with a 20 Lye Discount. For example, for a 1 Kilogram batch:

1000 grams Coconut Oil
380 grams Water
147 grams Lye

ChrisShepp said:
In the US, we tend to use 'Lye Discount' and 'Superfat' to mean the same thing.

Oh, ok...
but, with this lye discount so high, what about the risk of oils gone bad ( i don't know how to say it well in english.. :oops: ), after some time?

You said it perfectly - "oils going bad" :D

Coconut oil has a VERY long life, perhaps 2 or 3 years, so it is not a problem to use the 20% discount with this oil.

ChrisShepp said:
You said it perfectly - "oils going bad" :D

Coconut oil has a VERY long life, perhaps 2 or 3 years, so it is not a problem to use the 20% discount with this oil.

Perfect!! ( i've just made a mistake in my last soap, using a 16% lye discount and i was worried :lol: )

I'll try very soon, thanks a lot!! :D

Galaviel said:
i've just made a mistake in my last soap, using a 16% lye discount and i was worried :lol: )

I'll try very soon, thanks a lot!! :D

You are welcome! Now I must remind you - all oils do not live as long as Coconut - a 16% lye discount might be a problem with other oils. But wait and see - it might be a perfect soap in a few months :)

ChrisShepp said:
- all oils do not live as long as Coconut - a 16% lye discount might be a problem with other oils.

You're right.... fortunately this happened in a small batch of soap, only 450 gr.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back